Old 02-20-2007, 02:40 PM
Apprentice

Default Does Size Matter?

I know most of us are probably making traditional 10-11in pies with 250g doughballs or so...

Does anyone make really big NY style pies? Is it possible in a wood burning oven to make large pies on a consistent basis? At our pizzeria we currently have 3 sizes of pizza...the "mini" is probably close to the typical 10-11in, medium is probably 14 in and the large is crazy at 18in+. We are cooking in deck ovens now but in our new restaurant we will be wood burning.

Has anyone seen various pie sizes out of woodburning ovens? James - have you seen anything interesting in Italy? It seems that most of the wood oven pizzas I have eaten are the traditional size...

Let me know what you guys think...

Jay
Old 02-20-2007, 04:17 PM
Laborer

Default Re: Does Size Matter?

Here's my plan: 11-inch "gourmet" pizzas for the adults, and 16-inch sauce-and-cheese for the kids.

Of course, my oven isn't finished yet, but I did get the vent finished today.

For the big pies, rotating the pizza near the fire to keep from burning one side is probably the key.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:38 PM
Apprentice

I cook 16-18 pizzas on a regular basis in my 36" dome oven. I try to keep 2 peels handy 1 large and 1 small. I use the large to load (I can do 2 pizzas in the 14-16" range at a time) and the smaller one to rotate the pizzas after the crust has setup (about 40-60sec.) I only cook for friends and family, but I once did 26 16-18" pizzas in about 1 hr for an extended family gathering.
Hope this helps
Old 05-03-2007, 08:22 PM
Laborer

I bought a 20" peel today. Tomorrow I'll give the "extra-large" pizza a try. Any tips?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-04-2007, 01:50 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Jay,
I had a pizza at Pellone in Naples that was a whopper. It was a 300gr dough ball, and it spilled over the plate. It was still thin in the middle, but the corniscione was huge and puffy. Here's a photo link:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/phot...ndex.php?n=161

Later on, I learned that they are known for their chunky pizzas. I liked it, and Michael -- who has eaten in something like 40 Naples pizzerias (2 a day for 20 days) said it was one of his favorites. Enzo told Michael he thought it was too big -- and to not copy it. :-) There's a traditionalist for you. Antimo recommended to Michael to go big -- 280gr.

In general, other than the terrible pan pizzas you see in the cities, I think the more generic "Italian pizza" is still very thin and light.

Is there a real difference between NY pizza and a larger Naples pizza -- other than diameter?
James

Old 05-04-2007, 11:35 AM
Laborer

I made 600g dough balls, and made 18" pizza this afternoon. It was great! It was a lot like the NY-style pizza. Large slices that you have to fold to eat. I just made mozzeralla and pepperoni today.

Sorry, no pictures! I will cook again tonight, might have the camera ready then.