Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Quest with Peter Reinhart > Pizza

View Poll Results: Do you use olive oil in your pizza dough?
YES 8 33.33%
NO 16 66.67%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2010, 05:47 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Do you or Don't you?

I realise that I risk being tarred and feathered and possibly publicly flogged for daring to ask this question around here but...

Do you or don't you use olive oil in your pizza?

I have been making some bread lately and the addition of olive oil made an incredible difference to the texture of the dough. Knowing full well that it is a serious crime, I have been reluctant to go down that path but even Reinhart actually proposes using it in his latest book. Perhaps it is worth exploring - possibly covertly at the outset of course, so as not to arouse suspicion ...

To get an indication on how widespread this practice is - please indicate if your current pizza making methodology involves olive oil.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:03 AM
Peasant

Default Re: Do you or Don't you?

In (the dough): Yes.
On (the pizza): Yes.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:43 AM
Journeyman

I use 2% oil in my dough. I've tried omitting it many times but the dough is never as nice. I cook at very high temps and have never had burning issues, although my dough is very high hydration.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:34 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Nope, never have in the dough. I'm scared to even try since I've had such good luck without it.

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 08:00 AM
Laborer

i use it in the dough.

Member WFOAMBA
Old 03-03-2010, 03:07 PM
Apprentice

I use it in my dough (just the smallest amount) and a good splash on the pizza before throwing it into the oven.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:22 PM
Journeyman

In the dough I do not, but maybe I'll try it next time!
Old 03-03-2010, 09:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I've got the tar and flogging stick, anyone bring feathers?

Seriously, I originally DID use it in my WFO dough. I wasn't too thrilled with my first few attempts. Several members of the forum suggested I try the FB recipe that came with my Caputo flour - no olive oil, I've loved it and have not looked back.

The electric oven (indoor pizza) is another story. Only goes to 500 F, although a separate thermometer tells me it actually gets around 525 F - just doesn't seem to brown all that well. I've found olive oil helps with the browning. No measuring or percentages, just a couple of good splashes while I'm mixing. In fact, I have no set recipe for my indoor pizza dough; Just a basic idea that I "eyeball". Yes, it is a bit different everytime, but we like the slight variances....not the same old "electric oven pizza" you can find almost everywhere.

RT
Old 03-03-2010, 10:15 PM
Apprentice

The only olive oil my dough sees prior to putting toppings on is the little bit I brush on the sides of the bowl that I let it rise in. Hardly enough to say that it makes a difference. 1/2 a teaspoon per 850 g of dough...
Old 03-04-2010, 08:34 AM
Journeyman

ohyea, for indoor oven pizzas and cast-iron deep dish, I def. use olive oil in the dough