Old 01-15-2011, 02:25 AM
Serf

Default Colavita Tipo 00 Flour trouble

I have not yet found a source for Caputo flour and usually use the Lighthouse brand of flour that is suitable for pizza dough and I get good results.

Using 65% hydration levels and cold ferment where possible.

The supermarket has recently been stocking colavita Farina Di Grano Tenero Tippo "00". which is obviously italian.

Protein 11,5g

hopefully thinking it would be a suitable replacement for Caputo, I have tried it twice, both times with poor results. The dough turns out weak, easily tears and crust is also tough.

My question is; Is it me? or is this flour not suitable for Pizza dough?
Can I treat this flour any different to improve the results?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:13 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Colavita Tipo 00 Flour trouble

IMO, every flour, regardless of style or protein content, will want to be worked a little differently. I have not used the one you mention, but just based on "weak, tears easily" and without knowing anything else about your construction and handling techniques, I would say it needs more time for gluten development and possibly higher hydration.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:16 AM
Laborer

I would agree with Spaltgirl in regards to more gluten development. Does the dough pass the windowpane test?

I have found 00 needs higher hydration as well. But that could just be my environment.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:23 PM
Serf

I know it sounds counter intuitive...but try 57% Hydration and a 4-6 hr rise on the counter at RT in covered containers.

What you likely have is a 00 flour with a low bread making index, like a W200. These are not suited to high hydration, and long rise times. This is a Direct Method flour suitable for short rise times.

Whwen you first mix the dough it will seem stiff at 57% but after 4-6 hrs on the counter it will be slack and very elastic.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:54 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Colavita is a good product - there is some earlier discussions on it in the Aussie thread. I use a local product which gives excellent results and costs half the price of Colavita.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:23 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by heliman View Post
Colavita is a good product - there is some earlier discussions on it in the Aussie thread. I use a local product which gives excellent results and costs half the price of Colavita.
I agree colavita is a great product, but I too use the Lighthouse Pizza '00' flour and I find they both work great. Price isnt bad, I think its about $2 roughy or maybe $3 per kg. I find 2kgs is good for 12 - 13 pizzas, all I need for a night with extra nibbles.

And cold ferment is a great way to go....just dont forget to drop the yeast, unlike I did last time....oopppssss LOL.