Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (
-   Design Styles, Chimneys and Finish (
-   -   Whats "Stucco" in UK and where???? (

ross 08-19-2008 06:56 AM

Whats "Stucco" in UK and where????
Hi All

A question for UK builders - Whats the UK equivelant to Stucco as its called in the US and where can I get it from...

All I can think to call it is exterior render and Im getting nowhere sourcing a supplier that can seel it in bags / tubs...only companies that will come and pebble dash my house...

I thought of just sealing my outer vermiculite with exterior paint or PVA mix..As the bad weather is already coming so it will be next year before im cooking in it properly


christo 08-19-2008 07:18 AM

Re: Whats "Stucco" in UK and where????
Near as I can tell it's called Exterior plastering in the UK.

At least that's what my mate said when I talked to him just a moment a go.

Give that a try.



toddj 08-19-2008 07:31 AM

Re: Whats "Stucco" in UK and where????
In the UK I have always heard it called "Render" or "Rendering"

Carl 08-19-2008 01:24 PM

Re: Whats "Stucco" in UK and where????
Yes, render. Mix of lime, sand and cement - don't be tempted to leave the lime out, or it'll all crack!

dmun 08-19-2008 06:12 PM

Re: Whats "Stucco" in UK and where????
Rendering is something entirely different in the US. Two countries divided by a common tongue.

Reading the linked Wikipedia article, I was amazed to learn that beef tallow is used as a lubricant when rolling steel sheet. You would think it would burst into flames.

nissanneill 08-20-2008 03:18 AM

Re: Whats "Stucco" in UK and where????
I understand stucco to be a special rendering process using a mix of 1 part portland to 3 parts red 'plaster sand'. You could add a little lime but I didn't with mine. It will reduce the waterproofing a little but then if you paint or tile it, then it is further protected.
Stucco was a process where the renderer put some 'render' into a hand held device that threw or splattered a little render on the plastered wall leaving a random pattern which took off the bland look of wall and gave it character.
You can also add a little coloured 'oxide' to the render formula which will provide that extra appearance and appeal.


aureole 08-27-2008 04:18 AM

Re: Whats "Stucco" in UK and where????
I'm going to go for an exterior render using a colour additive: it'll be 1:1:5 portland cement:lime:sand. I'll add in a waterproofer to the mix, then probably coat the whole thing with a clear waterproofer anyway.

ross 08-27-2008 05:00 AM

Re: Whats "Stucco" in UK and where????

Do you know where I can source a small amount of lime in the UK aureole

B&Q etc only do huge bags??

aureole 08-27-2008 05:09 AM

Re: Whats "Stucco" in UK and where????
Travis Perkins will do 25Kg bags. I think you could probably buy some lime putty (which is, I think, still hydrated lime), but it's pretty cheap anyway (around 6 a bag for hydrated lime from TP I think).

Also, pretty toxic - nasty alkali burns are possible. I don't know if you really need it, but it will make your render a bit more flexible (lime basically carbonates back to calcium carbonate (limestone) over a long period of time (years). It also plasticises the render - makes it a bit "fluffier".

Jillian 09-15-2008 07:46 AM

Re: Whats "Stucco" in UK and where????
hi, my partner is an applicator of stucco.he learned the trade through living in Italy for 13 years. It is a beautiful classy finish not well recognised in the uk

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
2006/10 Forno Bravo, LLC