Old 09-08-2010, 04:51 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: What Concrete for a cast flue?

I ordered mine, along with other related materials, from these guys. Shipping was free too.

Castable Refractory Cement - 25 lb.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO
Old 09-08-2010, 05:23 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxpose View Post
I ordered mine, along with other related materials, from these guys. Shipping was free too.

Castable Refractory Cement - 25 lb.
Fxpose, thanks

Did you use the premixed style?
Is there an advantage/disadvantage to using either premixed or a dry mix?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:27 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricU View Post

Did you use the premixed style?
Is there an advantage/disadvantage to using either premixed or a dry mix?
I used the dry mix where you add water. That 25 lb pail comes in dry powder form. You just add water.

Old 09-10-2010, 07:53 AM
Apprentice

OK, since actually obtaining refractory cement is harder and more expensive (very), I have been thinking of two other ways to do my chimney liner;
  1. Cut firebricks in half the long way and just build up my own while I am doing the exterior decorative chimney and fill the void with the pearlite concrete mix.
  2. Use fire brick to make my transition then do the exterior decorative chimney, then use a sonotube liner or some kind of interior form and fill the void with the pearlite concrete mix

Any thoughts?

Old 09-10-2010, 08:16 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Perlite cement mix against the hot side is not very strong or refractory solution 1would be better IMO.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:11 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricU View Post
Use fire brick to make my transition then do the exterior decorative chimney, then use a sonotube liner or some kind of interior form and fill the void with the pearlite concrete mix
Instead of using a sonotube how about using a single-walled stove pipe as interior form? I did that. I formed perlcrete around single-walled stove pipes from the vent up.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:59 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

George, that would be the simplest solution, but I think Eric wants a variation in diameter and has some bends to cope with.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:09 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxpose View Post
Instead of using a sonotube how about using a single-walled stove pipe as interior form?...
I was wondering if it would be OK to do that. Just pour around it and leave it in.

Can I use the cheap snap together stove pipe stuff - 6" diameter?

Any suggestions on where to get it?

Eric.