Old 03-21-2010, 05:30 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: the weather, ARGH!

I've been wanting to try a two stage pour with the first being slow drying concrete and the second plain cement. After the first settles I want to place select aggregate in a pattern then pour the cement over it. Let dry, then expose the top layer of aggregate.

The first run being a bird bath or something else small, of course.

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
[/CENTER]
Old 03-28-2010, 01:32 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Going down to 3000 gives it a nice shine. I think that the finer finish makes the counter top finish last longer.

I've used "ENRICH'N'SEAL" by Aqua Mix. This is not really a coating as such. It is a sealer and also "wets" the surface bringing out the colors. One of my kitchen countertops is 8 year old with heavy use and still has the shine.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:04 PM
Serf

Hi there,
this thread has finally elicited my first post, I want to go for a poured in place countertop I'll be breaking ground any day for a 42"(until morel season opens), just a few finish details to work out before I start digging and get a thread.

Archena,

you probably want to mix the aggregate with the cement and apply that over the top, if the aggregate is larger than 3/8" then it can be sprinkled and pressed in the top. then grind it out, I think cement on top will be prone to being spotty and more difficult to work with. Make the mix wetter than drier your first attempts then use the sprinkles to tighten up chip pattern
Old 04-05-2010, 05:00 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks, Miloj. Looking forward to your thread!

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
[/CENTER]