Old 10-29-2009, 02:23 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: the weather, ARGH!

yes, not much complaining from Boy about the chopping wood business other than not having enough time to do it. I gave it a go a few times but the only way I can really get a good swing is if I am standing on something to raise me up. My slightly rearranged shoulder anatomy courtesy of crashing motorcycles doesn't help.

In college my friends called me a guygirl. Maybe my momma didn't raise me right (ok wait, I'm certain she didn't, but that's another subject), but I've never understood the whole man-hobbies vs. women-hobbies thing, or how power tools, whacking on stuff, fire and fast bikes aren't every bit as interesting as baking a cake or sewing pillows for the sofa.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:41 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatgirl View Post

In college my friends called me a guygirl. Maybe my momma didn't raise me right (ok wait, I'm certain she didn't, but that's another subject), but I've never understood the whole man-hobbies vs. women-hobbies thing, or how power tools, whacking on stuff, fire and fast bikes aren't every bit as interesting as baking a cake or sewing pillows for the sofa.
Sigh, okay, here's the deal (your mom should have long since filled you in on this) - there is no real difference. Thing is, the guys like to think there's a difference so they can claim 'man territory'. It makes 'em feel better so we let them - to a degree. Of course, it's also fun to play with their minds so we periodically tease them about fire, cars, sports, weapons and anything else they've laid claim to as a 'man thing'.

It's also a convenient way to dump the stuff we don't want on the guys...

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
[/CENTER]
Old 10-30-2009, 04:35 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
For men, sharp things are almost as seductive as burning things.
arch....
you for got things that explode, electronics, pets that will bite you, tools,,,,,,,,
Old 10-30-2009, 04:57 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

True. It wasn't meant as an exhaustive list or I would have included things controlled with joysticks, anything ridiculously oversized, anything that can be described as 'high speed'...

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
[/CENTER]
Old 10-30-2009, 05:06 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

boys and our toys.........
Old 10-30-2009, 11:36 AM
Laborer

Sigh......but....but....
I like cooking and sewing and stuff, I'm in touch with my feminine side....honest
Paul
Old 10-30-2009, 02:01 PM
Peasant

Guys and Gals,

I just noticed your posts and I just poured my counter top last Wednesday. It turned out better than expected as I experienced a weak spot in my framing, but a few clamps and a lot of panic I got the frame secured and all turned out ok. The total pour was almost 12 cu. ft. (it wraps around the whole oven). I now know why the pros suggest having at least one helper.

The counter is tinted blue with white, black , and blue glass chips embedded in the surface. On the face of the counter I will be applying small square indigo blue mosiac tiles in the 4" strip I built into the form.

I did my initial surface grind yesterday and will be doing some polishing this weekend.

John
Attached Thumbnails
the weather, ARGH!-p1010116.jpg   the weather, ARGH!-p1010117.jpg   the weather, ARGH!-p1010118.jpg   the weather, ARGH!-p1010119.jpg  
Old 10-30-2009, 03:48 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

What are you going to use to finish it ?

After polishing down to 3000 (three thousand) grit, I used a product called "ENRICH'N'SEAL" by Aqua Mix. This stuff is great. It is a "wetting" agent so it brings out the natural colours in the aggregate - you don't end up with a dull grey concrete look. It is also "food safe" and will with stand high temperature. You can put you 1000 degree pots directly on it.

It is a sealer not a coating so you have to achieve your desired degree of finish first with polishing.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:07 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

hey john

countertop looks great.. looking forward to see the finished pics,

cheers
mark
Old 10-30-2009, 11:17 PM
Journeyman

yes. awesome work. That is quite the behemoth of a counter you've got there. I am interested to know how that color does over time. I don't have much experience with additive colorants, and especially not in an outdoor setting and I'm wondering if it will fade? Love how you did that relief for the tile to sit in.