Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Design Styles, Chimneys and Finish (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   Vent exit at dome apex (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/vent-exit-dome-apex-13062.html)

fxpose 05-25-2010 12:22 PM

Vent exit at dome apex

I'd like to route my vent pipe over the top middle of the dome, over the dome insulation before completely enclosing. My concern is whether using a couple of 45 degree elbows will somehow affect vent flow and its ability to draw efficiently. My oven is 34" and I plan on using 6" pipes. The chimney pipe will be several feet tall to clear the roof line of my home.

George

Tscarborough 05-25-2010 12:28 PM

Re: Vent exit at dome apex

2 30 degree bends are allowed for fireplace code, I wouldn't do more than that.

fxpose 05-25-2010 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tscarborough (Post 90643)
2 30 degree bends are allowed for fireplace code, I wouldn't do more than that.

Thanks, I've heard that before but would that yield a vertical vent exit?
I've been looking at single walled stove pipes and I can only seem to find 45* elbows.

George

Tscarborough 05-25-2010 12:47 PM

Stove pipe is different. I am pretty sure that double or triple wall is the recommendation for ovens. 2 30's set opposite will duplicate whatever angle the pipe enters the first elbow.

fxpose 05-25-2010 01:03 PM

Thanks again.
Double walled 30* elbows and pipes are way too expensive for what I want to achieve, and especially for the chimney height I need.
Codes aside, is there any reason why I can't bury a blanket insulated single walled stove pipe under the dome enclosure and use single walled throughout?

George

Tscarborough 05-25-2010 01:11 PM

I think the general concern is that because of the amount of expansion and contraction, you can not get a single walled pipe to seal well. As long as it is all outside and has no penetrations through wood I probably wouldn't worry too much about it (but I still wouldn't go over 30 degrees, you will get extreme build up of flammable soot in 45's).

david s 05-25-2010 01:20 PM

With the flue against the dome it should heat quickly and improve draw, which should compensate for the bends.

fxpose 05-25-2010 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by david s (Post 90649)
With the flue against the dome it should heat quickly and improve draw, which should compensate for the bends.

Thanks, I hope so...:)

George

Tscarborough 05-25-2010 01:42 PM

If it is outside the insulation, it won't warm, but it WILL warm faster because it will have less draw.

fxpose 05-25-2010 02:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok. What if I used just one elbow as shown in my sketch? I like the single elbow design better.

George