Old 06-08-2010, 01:26 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Two bad ways to make a door

Steel is a great conductor (poor insulator) This leaves you with a door that isn't very efficient and is dangerous to handle. Wooden doors are traditionally used by Italians and they are soaked in water. The trick is to not put the door in place when the oven is really hot. I;ve been through lots of the insulating panel options incl. AAC, castable refractory with perlite added without success. They were either too brittle, or if made strong and dense enough didn't insulate well. I settled on an insulating board, but one that uses a safe fibre. This works well, but is soft and is easily damaged if not handled carefully. I now have a door that can be placed in and out one handed. This is very useful when doing pizzas when the oven is cooling and you need to retain as much heat as you can. I place the door half way into the entry.

Last edited by david s; 07-17-2010 at 04:22 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:39 PM
Peasant

David-

Thanks. Very true about the steel. I have often looked at those decorative wrought iron doors and wondered if they held anything in at all. Just to clarify, The steel trim on mine is just sheet metal that protects the FB board and the cement board. All of it ends up in the oven and the outer two wood components keep it at bay heat wise.

Although I do wish I could soak it! I would if it weren't for the FB board and the laminate glue for the plywood. Perhaps I should look at solid wood. What have you used as your wood? How thick? And does it go into the dome as a "plug" or just block up the reveal at the entrance?

So far mine has performed very well, even at 800 degrees.

Thanks.

Tom
Old 06-08-2010, 01:43 PM
Journeyman

I haven't had any issues with my perlcrete/Durock/cedar wood door. The highest temp I have put in place was about 650+ deg.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I am on my fourth door.
First bricks:

Perlcrete:

AAC,

and now castable refractory with a perlcrete infill:

This one should work fine.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:59 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

"with some sort of insulation layer. "

The sheets of insulation that is used to line electric/gas ovens in ranges works good. Go to your local landfill and you can score some from an abandoned kitchen range.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:09 PM
Laborer

my idea off what may work (yet to try)

steel plate /calcium silicate board/steel plate with wooden handles

does anyone think that this would work??

or any other ideas
Old 06-08-2010, 09:43 PM
Apprentice

My AAC door has held up to about 10 firings so far and it isn't showing any sign of damage yet. It is a 50mm AAC block with a 6mm plywood front. The plywood doesn't touch brick anywhere as it was part of the arch form and made smaller than the arch so I could remove it. The ply is held onto the block with high temp adhesive (but only rated to 80 deg C) and then with 30mm chipboard screws

This door was only ever intended as temporary which is probably why it has lasted so long.

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Two bad ways to make a door-89-door-thermometer.jpg  

Deficio est nusquam tamen vicis ut satus iterum
(Failure is nothing but the opportunity to start again)
Old 06-09-2010, 01:57 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Tom,
I used 19mm quilla for the timber door and a 19mm insulating panel. Don't use heavy screws to attach it to the wood or they will get really hot and char where the threads contact the wood. Better to use thin stainless steel bolts. I used 3/16" It does a pretty good job at taking the sting out of the heat to protect the timber, but it wont stand a really hot oven. You don't need a door when it's really hot anyway. My door sits against the reveal, not inside it.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:11 AM
Apprentice

I'm in need of a door - will probably try something with leftover AAC. Only thing is, my AAC blocks are 100mm (4 inch) thick, which would make for a fairly heavy door.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Only thing is, my AAC blocks are 100mm (4 inch) thick, which would make for a fairly heavy door.
You could cut them in half with a carbide drywall saw, or an old carpenters saw if you had one you wanted to sacrifice. They're really crumbly: i think you would want to totally enclose them.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.