Old 10-15-2009, 11:27 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: tile flue question

If you insulate with vermiculite/concrete mix, like Les, that should still allow for some expansion, yet provide stability. Many builders cover the entire dome with this stuff, and it works well. That's my plan. If you look at my pics, I used a steel framed surround with concrete board that I will stick on some stone veneer. The space in between is filled with vermicucrete. I think I went with the Mausoleum look that your wife was hoping to avoid!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Insulate, or airspace?
The airspace IS insulation, as well as a provision for expansion. I think, in seismically active areas like California, that firestopping (which is a form of refractory insulation) is supposed to substitute for the airspace.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:38 PM
Apprentice

I live in Sacramento, which is a seismically stable area (knock on wood). But does the airspace alone provide sufficient insulation? Would it be better to put in insulation? If so, would loose perlite filling the chimney chase be a good idea?

Mike, that's basically what I'm thinking/hoping, but with a slightly smaller enclosure. Or possibly just a chminey tower with an igloo. I don't know... the conversation about design styles has reached a fever pitch around the house recently, as we're at a crucial turning point.