Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Design Styles, Chimneys and Finish

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2012, 08:07 AM
Laborer

Default Re: Stone Work Photos and Ideas

Okay

Here we go. So I picked up a suitable looking rock and placed in on the wall. This tells me which side should face out so it looks ok and the top of the rock is flat(ish) or at least slopes down towards the block.

As you see from the second photo, it has a bit of a protrusion which makes it stick out a bit.

In the third photo, I put the rock between my feet and whack it with the pointy end of my hammer.

In the fourth photo you see the protrusion is gone.
Attached Thumbnails
Stone Work Photos and Ideas-p1020157.jpg   Stone Work Photos and Ideas-p1020158.jpg   Stone Work Photos and Ideas-p1020159.jpg   Stone Work Photos and Ideas-p1020160.jpg  

Last edited by Mingy; 04-08-2012 at 03:38 PM.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:12 AM
Laborer

Now I clean up the rock with this awesome wire brush I picked up. Its supposed to be used for stripping furniture. I leave the outside surface of the rock 'natural' so it looks aged

I check the position so I know what the orientation of the rock is going to be and where the mortar has to go

I glop a lot of mortar into place. This was a little too liquid, but close to being perfect.

Note that I keep the mortar on a piece of plywood below. A lot of it falls off as you put the rock into place. I used to let it pile on the ground, then I realized I could recycle most of it if it landed on the plywood.
Attached Thumbnails
Stone Work Photos and Ideas-p1020162.jpg   Stone Work Photos and Ideas-p1020163.jpg   Stone Work Photos and Ideas-p1020165.jpg   Stone Work Photos and Ideas-p1020166.jpg  
Mario Natali likes this.

Last edited by Mingy; 04-08-2012 at 03:39 PM.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:18 AM
Laborer

Sometimes I put too much mortar or I need to move rocks together. I found a nylon mallet works well for this. It also seems to make the rock 'stick' which is good to know when a rock wants to fall out of place.

This is what it looks like after you've done a bunch of them. Pretty messy, with lots of tool marks from the trowel. You have to wait a while (like a couple hours) for the mortar to set up.

Then you 'tool it' which this funny looking finger thingy.

Then you brush it. The tooling and brushing goes real fast.
Attached Thumbnails
Stone Work Photos and Ideas-p1020167.jpg   Stone Work Photos and Ideas-p1020168.jpg   Stone Work Photos and Ideas-p1020169.jpg   Stone Work Photos and Ideas-p1020170.jpg  
Old 04-08-2012, 08:20 AM
Laborer

And this is what it looks like.

I wanted a sort of rustic look, which means lots of mortar and flatish walls. There are techniques where the walls are much lumpier and there is less mortar visible.

Of course, this is the first time I have even done any stonework, so if anybody has any advice or suggestions, feel free.
Attached Thumbnails
Stone Work Photos and Ideas-p1020171.jpg  
Old 04-09-2012, 04:39 PM
Journeyman

Excellent Mingy!

It is a lost/dying art. At the mine I work at (over 100 yrs old) we have some stone retaining walls that are all dry fit and holding up well - just 2+ ft thick. Having wanting to do this for some time, you have been elected to my hall of fame along with the other trail breakers.

When taking the kids out shooting this weekend, I found a source of stone in many colors and styles - a good thing with AZ. And since it is only 30 minutes from the house, not a bad deal.

I have developed the plan for the enclosure, so now to execute (and buy the other goodies.).

Question = are you just using strait mortar?

Chris

Follow my build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:25 PM
Laborer

Chris

I am using mortar mix I buy at Lowes or Rona (like a Canadian Home Depot). I like the Lowes stuff because it comes in plastic bags.

However, you should know there are several kinds of mortar: Type S, Type N, and a few others. As I understand it, Type N is somewhat weaker (non-load bearing). It may have other merits, but I use Type S just in case what I am doing is 'load bearing'. Home Depot only carries Type N where I live for some reason.

You can also buy mortar cement (Type S or N or others, I guess) and mix it with sand yourself. I believe it is much cheaper to do it that way. I am going to use a good 30 66 pound bags so it adds up. I think mortar cement comes in Tye S and N as well. Anyway, I figure the mix is more convenient.

I am using a cement mixer (front load) and do 2 bags at a time. A mortar mixer (side load) would probably work better but you can't ask for everything.

I got inspired to try do it myself after seeing old fieldstone structures all over the place. I know some of these were made by professional, experienced masons, but I am sure many were made by farmers and their sons and they are still standing. So maybe I could come close to their efforts.

Great you found stones! Hopefully nobody will object to you liberating them.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:43 PM
Laborer

Default In case anybody is interested in my fieldstone oven

Here is the finished product. I have a bit more landscaping to do and I am waiting for the glass to make my oven door then its over to my wife!

If anybody has questions about stuff like the arch or anything, feel free to ask.
Attached Thumbnails
Stone Work Photos and Ideas-finished-oven.jpg  
Old 05-16-2012, 04:55 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Very nice. How did you flash around the chimney?
Old 05-16-2012, 06:25 PM
Laborer

Well, last fall I did the roof with concrete tiles. The thing with the ones I had was they are corrugated, and over the winter I realize yellow jackets would enjoy nesting in there.

Unfortunately, also last winter, my house asphalt roof leaked and this spring had it replaced with Almet metal shingles. The roofers had a few bundles left so I decided I would strip the concrete tile roof off and re-do it with the metal shingles, which is what you see in the pictures.

So, to answer your question, the chimney is cement board on steel studs. I put on the roof then I flashed with 4" galvanized angle, then I build the stone on top of that. I used thinner (1 or 2") stone on the chimney for weight. So the flashing is pretty much hidden under the rock.

I figure, worse case, I could caulk if I had to, but it seems pretty tight: water would have to flow uphill a few inches under the rock for it to leak.
stkywkt likes this.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:45 AM
Laborer

Default Re: In case anybody is interested in my fieldstone oven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingy View Post
Here is the finished product. I have a bit more landscaping to do and I am waiting for the glass to make my oven door then its over to my wife!

If anybody has questions about stuff like the arch or anything, feel free to ask.
Beautiful oven it came out real nice and i like the natural stone look,, good job