Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Design Styles, Chimneys and Finish

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2009, 07:53 AM
Serf

Default Re: Stone Work Photos and Ideas

Caleb,
The fun you are having with your oven is as gratifying as the work you did.
Enjoy for years to come

calal

PS, ya.. blending in with the surroundings "imho" is important
Old 01-12-2010, 02:41 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Caleb,,
what progress have you made ??
Old 04-21-2010, 12:45 AM
Laborer

Don't let my wife see that. Just today she was talking about the veneer being some sort of stone. Arrghh...!!! Here in middle Tennessee collecting limestone from the fields is no problem (ouch, my back), but it might look nice

Great pics, and nice work!
Old 07-14-2010, 07:59 PM

From the excellent shorpy.com site:

Note the clever way of narrowing the chimney throat with interlocked angle bricks. I like the top treatment too. Go to the linked page to see a huge version of the same photo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:27 AM
Apprentice

Very nice, looks very natural and rustic. Job well done!
Old 07-11-2011, 03:07 PM
Apprentice

This thread has been inactive for a while. Thought I'd revive it again to see members' pics and ideas on their stonework!

Here are a few pics of my work so far. I'm doing a firepit and my WFO stand in the same stone: sandstone. These rocks are heavy! They should last me a long time!

Enjoy the pics. And I hope to see more pics from the other FB members!!

aceves
Attached Thumbnails
Stone Work Photos and Ideas-rock1.jpg   Stone Work Photos and Ideas-rock2.jpg   Stone Work Photos and Ideas-pit1.jpg  
Old 07-12-2011, 07:39 AM
Laborer

WOW! Great rock work. Did you scrounge those yourself?

I opted for the manufactured concrete stone. It was readily available and relatively easy to install. I used a "quick-stack" variety which had a consistent height and varying lengths. Wish I had used the individual "stones" - it would have given a more varied lay-up, but I think it looks OK for a first time rock layer.
Attached Thumbnails
Stone Work Photos and Ideas-oven-back-trimmed2.jpg   Stone Work Photos and Ideas-bakery.jpg   Stone Work Photos and Ideas-batard.jpg  
Old 07-12-2011, 11:03 AM
Apprentice

Thanks lwalper!

I didn't gather them: my brother owns a landscaping company and he had a left-over pallet of sandstone rocks from a job that he did. He called and asked if I wanted them because he had no use for them. He knew I was starting work on my WFO. I said yes! You can't beat free stones!

It's a slow application (because I'm measuring every rock so I can fit it; I'm not cutting the rocks at all), but it's looking good so far.

Your WFO looks great! That thing looks solid!! I can't wait to be where you're at, all done and baking pizzas and bread!!!

aceves

Last edited by aceves; 07-12-2011 at 11:06 AM.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:55 PM
Serf

Hi all,

So my WFO project was more of on undertaking last summer than expected, went in of the mind set that a couple of nights after work and a weekend here and there and it would be all wrapped up...... Not quite the case but did get it to a place where I'm happy with it.

The idea this spring and summer is the finish side of things, on the list is a taller chimney that has a tight seal and damper, and a more aesthetic finish to the stand.

Wrong feed im awear but What's the best way to retro fit a chimney with a tight seal to the existing oven? Have seen that high heat rope for around fireplace doors ovens and the like. Would that be a good option? My current chimney is loose enough I'm sure it will pull straight out!

Second is suggestions of the finish for the stand, will attach a photo and look forward to any ideas or suggestions.

I work for a company that builds zip lines, climbing walls and the like, we have a 'natural rock' product I could potentially use, or field stone, or any other suggestions.

Here's the oven as it stands,

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...0&l=a058793734

Cheers

Second time, hopefully the link will work this time. The full build
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...3&l=881d0d101b

Last edited by Kiwi_in_canada; 03-31-2012 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Links don't work
Old 04-01-2012, 04:46 PM
Laborer

Default My home grown fieldstones and stonework

I made a post in 'Finding Building Supplies' and Kiwi asked me to post a few pictures. I did, and here are some more.

I have never done stonework before, so if anybody has any suggestions I would appreciate it.

In case anybody is wondering about the moss, the stones were all wire brushed wherever they would touch mortar. I don't know whether the moss will survive on the rocks, but it would be cool if it did.

I will post more pix as I progress.
Attached Thumbnails
Stone Work Photos and Ideas-p1020134.jpg   Stone Work Photos and Ideas-p1020136.jpg   Stone Work Photos and Ideas-p1020135.jpg   Stone Work Photos and Ideas-p1020137.jpg   Stone Work Photos and Ideas-p1020138.jpg  

Kiwi_in_canada likes this.