Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Design Styles, Chimneys and Finish (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   Steel studs or wood (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/steel-studs-wood-20213.html)

rodeair 12-14-2013 01:55 PM

Steel studs or wood

I'm trying to decide the material for my oven enclosure. The framing for the cement board and rock veneer at the base will be six foot square tapering up to a 2 ft square chimney. This section starts above the oven opening. Pressure treated wood would be much cheaper than steel studs, but would appreciate any advise.

Leigh

david s 12-14-2013 02:00 PM

Re: Steel studs or wood

Most builders seem to go for steel, but remember that steel rusts particularly in the presence of heat and moisture, both of which are abundant in a WFO. The drawback with timber is of course that it burns quite well and is also usually treated with poison. The heat and moisture may be conducive to that being a problem.
Your choice.

jeeppiper 12-15-2013 05:23 PM

I used steel studs to frame out the enclosure/then cement board/stone veneer. I didnt want to use ANY combustible material in the the construction of my oven. I realize that it "shouldnt" get that hot, but I didnt want to even have to think about it.

Gulf 12-15-2013 06:34 PM

If you respect the insulation requirements and the local building code tolerances, wood is acceptable. For me, wood is a heck of a lot easier to work with than metal :).

wotavidone 12-16-2013 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rodeair (Post 166796)
I'm trying to decide the material for my oven enclosure. The framing for the cement board and rock veneer at the base will be six foot square tapering up to a 2 ft square chimney. This section starts above the oven opening. Pressure treated wood would be much cheaper than steel studs, but would appreciate any advise.

Leigh

Amazing isn't it? Here in my country South Australian town, I can buy 3 x 2 galvanised steel C-section cheaper than treated pine. and I only live about 25 miles from a massive plantation.

stonecutter 12-16-2013 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by david s (Post 166797)
The drawback with timber is of course that it burns quite well and is also usually treated with poison. The heat and moisture may be conducive to that being a problem.
Your choice.

The only place were PT is beneficial is for the sill plate... And even then there should be sill tape or some other capillary break between the plate and the slab. The rest of the framing can be done with standard lumbar, which is not treated.

rodeair 12-16-2013 10:52 AM

Thanks for the replies. I'm leaning toward wood because of cost and ease of use as Gulf says. All four sides will be angled in about 45 degrees, so with the weight on the structure, I was looking at 16ga. metal which all told would be about $300. Wood will be less than a third of that. Thanks again for the help.

Leigh

kanoer54 12-16-2013 08:36 PM

Something like a termite shield should be used between the concrete and the bottom plate to help keep moisture from migrating to the framing. We use copper or aluminum in the midwest US. If i use steel studs, I would also use some sort of barrier.

jon

GrahamG 12-18-2013 07:13 AM

We assembled our oven then made a timber frame covering the inside of the frame with fireboard and then putting wood on the outside of the frame. It does the job!

Fireboard is a board that has fire retardant in it, don;t know what it is called in the States.

boerwarrior 12-18-2013 07:51 AM

I framed my dome in cement board. I found that it was stiff enough that I didn't need much framing. I used inexpensive right-angle aluminum (1 inch wide on each side) and it appears to have plenty of strength