Old 05-13-2009, 07:27 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Steel studs

I used these, had allot left over after building my deck. They also gave good compression when fastening thruogh the Vermiculite concrete layer.

ITW Red Head Trubolt
Old 05-14-2009, 08:43 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Mike, my-bad, the Tap-cons are BLUE (in California and other states too). I just realized I bought some blue Tap-cons months ago and the drill bit they sell for it to mount an angle bracket to my outer arch for but-dressing (boy, did I just bring up an old-dead-horse-of-a-post or what).

So, 3 Tap-Cons per side, about 3-4" deep (assuming a 5'-6' side and back of the oven base) sound about right? I don't have a vermiculite/conc layer, just the 4" slab.

Thanks, Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 07:45 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

That should hold 'er down fine Dino.

Updated!

Old 05-14-2009, 08:02 PM
Master Builder

How do you avoid the rebar in the concrete when drilling down?

Old 05-16-2009, 05:56 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfiore View Post
How do you avoid the rebar in the concrete when drilling down?
In my particular project, luck was involved

I ran into rebar a couple of times with the drill (or maybe tough rocks). I pulled out the drill and made a new hole.

Updated!

Old 05-16-2009, 06:22 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken524 View Post
In my particular project, luck was involved
I was afraid you'd say that. I don't seem to have much lately.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:16 AM
Journeyman

Don't worry too much about it, if you hit one just move over. I vaguely remembered the general area of rebar and did not hit one. Unless you really packed them in, the odds are in your favor.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:57 AM
Apprentice

Hey guys, don't mean to hijack this thread but thought you might know. Can you mount a steel track on top of concrete blocks? Between my oven and fireplace I'll be putting in counters which I wanted to build out of steel frame but I need to put a layer of concrete block down first to lift it up and act as a retaining wall. So I'll have a cement slab with a rectangle of cement block and I'm trying to figure out a way to build some steel frame cabinets on top of that.

Thanks,
Shay

Old 06-10-2009, 07:48 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Sure, use Tapcons to secure them.

Jim
Old 06-10-2009, 08:06 AM
Apprentice

Yeah? cool, my main concern was the walls of the blocks would be too thin to drill and screw into from the top vs the side.