Old 05-25-2014, 08:49 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Stainless steel vent

When I built my entryway, I tapered the inner arch so that the inside of each brick made contact with the oven arch, but the outside of each brick left a 1/4" gap. This was done to insure minimum contact between oven and entryway. I covered the gap with rockwool caulk and so far, it works great. I have closed the oven following a 750F pizza session and found it 475F the following day at 3:30pm.

My external hard drive (with all my oven construction and design pics) just went south yesterday. If I can get it functioning, I'll add a pic of the caulk, including the Sketchup drawing of the tapered entryway brick design.

Edit: You can see the actual gap in the oven pic listed here in post #4.

Last edited by GianniFocaccia; 05-25-2014 at 08:52 PM.
Old 05-26-2014, 05:00 AM
Apprentice

Sorry to hear about your hard drive. I hope you can recover the data.

I am a bit torn. I thought the insulation board encased in stainless steel around the oven opening would be really nice and allow me to have a wide entry with enough room to leave the door on the side when baking. Plus, the door would probably seal a lot better against stainless than against the slightly uneven entry bricks. Unless the stainless steel warps...
Old 05-26-2014, 10:51 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

You know, that's your call. I too went with a number of newish designs (soapstone floor, angled arch bricks, twisted-brick entryway, etc) and feel my oven offers improvements in some areas. Just beware that all steel thicknesses warp over time.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:08 AM
Apprentice

I think I will skip the insulation board around the opening and use a 1/4" gap like you did. I googled rockwool caulk and found a number of different products, but really don't know which one is the right stuff. Do you remember the brand and product name?

As far as the vent, I am thinking about building a frame out of 1/2" or 3/4" stainless steel tubing to weld the sheet metal to. This should give the sheet metal more rigidity and hopefully limit the amount of warping.

I will attempt to turn the chimney to the correct angle on Friday and then take measurements for vent fabrication.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:56 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Kaowool makes a CF caulk, but the local refractory supplier carried Inswool, an ANH Product. It was easy to install and dried beautifully. I would use it again. It was $16 for the tube in the pic.

Rather than sheet metal (prone to rust), why don't you fabricate one out of stainless? Once you get your flue in place you can design whatever trapezoidal dimensions you need.
Attached Thumbnails
Stainless steel vent-inswool.jpg  
Old 05-28-2014, 07:46 PM
Apprentice

Thank you, John.

When I wrote sheet metal, I meant the stainless steel variety.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:32 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

In that case I don't think you need the SS tubing frame. How thick ya gonna go?
Old 05-29-2014, 10:31 AM
Apprentice

I think 16 gauge is probably ok, but I don't really know what minimum thickness is required and have not heard back from FB yet about the thickness on the Artigiano vent. Any recommendation would be appreciated.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:24 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

The Simpson Duravent flues are 24 gauge, so I think you'll be fine. I would bet the FB flues are fine too, although a little on the thinner side. Remember, the oven exhaust mixes with outside air so its a bit cooler when it hits the flue.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:33 AM
Apprentice

I bought a sheet of 16 gauge stainless and had a lot of material left over after fabricating the vent. So I decided to build a stainless steel oven entry after all. At this point, the pieces are just tacked together. It fits pretty nicely and I think warpage won't be a big problem. I bent all the edges back and the whole thing became surprisingly stiff after I tacked on the return for the entry.

On the back side of the stainless steel, I plan to put 1" thick insulation board. Does anybody know a good "glue" to attach the insulation board to stainless steel? At the big box stores, they have a product called "Rutland Furnace Cement" made for bonding stainless steel and masonry. Does anybody have any experience with this, or is there another product I could use?
Attached Thumbnails
Stainless steel vent-oven_6_18_1.jpg   Stainless steel vent-oven_6_18_2.jpg