Old 01-27-2009, 04:00 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: Smoke reducer

The trick that I use to use to reduce smoke is to put the oven door in front of the landing area (meaning just in the main entrance, not in the oven one), sustained by a couple of refractary bricks on her side, maintaining the lower edge of the door four inches over the landing floor.
This arrangement assures the entrance of fresh air underneath of the door and exit the hot gases by the chimney, closing the smoke re-flux by the top of the oven main entry.
Once the path of gases is created with the fresh air entering low and the hot chimney exhausting them, the door could be retired without worries about smoking.
I think that some pictures were posted times ago.
And you do not need to build nothing (even the Frances solution being very elegant and beautiful)

Luis
Old 01-27-2009, 11:16 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I found, a long time ago, that if I took my door and tipped it inwards at the top, (outwards at the bottom) that I had no smoke out the front at all. The down-side is that you have to remove it and replace it every time you add wood. Caution - I stepped on the iron plate of my door while it was removed and sitting on the patio (me - barefoot) last summer, while making pizza. I had a nasty blister on my heel for nearly a month that hobbled me terribly - I mean really, really terribly. Always wear shoes around the oven when baking! Stepping on really hot things barefoot is always funny for the guests, something similar to a old-time hot-foot, match between the toes surprise. Not so funny for the stepper. Good luck finding an ice bucket big enough to get your foot into.

Anyways, I'm starting to like my smoke-tinged bricks. I use the door only for bread baking and cooking meats these days. Otherwise, it's out of the way and nowhere near underfoot.

Did I mention the cut I got off the metal toothed cutting edge for an aluminum foil roll recently? Ten days of bleeding and pain so far. I think I need work gloves to cook safely. .......What, no sympathy?

-
Old 01-28-2009, 12:51 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

And the winner of the Dave Awards this month is.... gjbingham!!!

Congratulations on participating in two of the most painful and in retrospect unnecessary WFO related accidents, keep up the good work.

Seriously though, that's a good point, wear shoes while baking pizzas. There could also be coals on the floor or whatever. And I hope your cut heals up soon!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:50 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks Frances. That injury was mid-summer. No bare-footin' these days. That one did hurt though. I should post a few pics of the night the deep fat fryer splashed 375 degree oil all over my bare chest. That was another good yuk.

Someday, none of the pain will matter. In the mean time, I'm trying to get my smoke to go counter-clockwise inside the dome. While it won't drain the bath any faster, I think it will cut down on my smoke out the front.

How often does the Earth switch poles and roll over anyways?

-
Old 02-19-2009, 07:08 PM
Serf

Frances,

How can I build this. I think it could work I'll try anthing. If I do not use the exhaust fan smoke come back in the house when the fire gets large. I need the large fire in order to get the dome white as you must know.

Jeanne
Old 02-20-2009, 07:46 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frances View Post
And the winner of the Dave Awards this month is.... gjbingham!!!

Congratulations on participating in two of the most painful and in retrospect unnecessary WFO related accidents, keep up the good work.
Thanks Frances!

My costs:

My pics:

Old 02-20-2009, 12:19 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Jeanne, its very simple. I took a piece of aluminium, cut it to size so as to leave about 20 cm gap at the bottom and fixed it onto the two metal stands... you could use any kind of metal angle bits, or bend your own out of rebare - whatever works. It took me about an hour to make. You could even prop it up on two bricks as a try out, and make a nice one if it does successfully reduce the smoke.

I'm sorry to hear the smoke is still bothering you, but who knows, maybe this is the solution you're looking for.

Dave, you're very welcome . So, did you fall in the fishtank yet?