Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Design Styles, Chimneys and Finish

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2014, 02:30 PM
Peasant

Default Re: Show us your Door Thread

Thanks, The steel I used for the door is a little heavy duty, but it was what I found laying around. The plan all along was to have the rollers, so weight was not to big of a concern. The door is insulated with ceramic board and it does a decent job of holding in the heat.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Some cutter love the granite decorative arch I'm very jealous, that's amazing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by oasiscdm; 03-10-2014 at 01:36 AM.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:00 AM
Master Builder

I don't do jealous but I do admire the workmanship and the resulting granite arch. Gives some of us something to aspire to. Very special.

Build Thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 03-10-2014, 04:11 AM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbhumbert View Post
Thanks, The steel I used for the door is a little heavy duty, but it was what I found laying around. The plan all along was to have the rollers, so weight was not to big of a concern. The door is insulated with ceramic board and it does a decent job of holding in the heat.
Nice idea with the rollers Rbhumbert, my door weighs in at 15kg (33lbs) so I might try incorporate whilst I carry out some mods.

Here's my door based heavily on Greenmans design.
Insulated with 50mm calsil board and 50mm perlite render.

I have wooden handles to attach to the brass hex stand-offs but when fitted the door is too deep to angle through front arch without handles jamming, so I need to cut down the hex stand-offs to allow door to clear front arch whilst on an angle.
Attached Thumbnails
Show us your Door Thread-2014-03-10-12.51.06.jpg   Show us your Door Thread-2014-03-10-21.10.11.jpg   Show us your Door Thread-img_0892.jpg   Show us your Door Thread-img_0894.jpg   Show us your Door Thread-img_0895.jpg  

My Door -

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - Albert Einstein
Old 03-10-2014, 04:20 AM
Laborer

Some more build photos.
Box spot welded 1.2mm stainless steel, aluminium front plate 4mm, timber panels screwed from back insulated with red fibre washers.
Insulation calsil left over bits & perlite cement.
Attached Thumbnails
Show us your Door Thread-img_0889.jpg   Show us your Door Thread-img_0921.jpg   Show us your Door Thread-img_0923.jpg   Show us your Door Thread-img_0908.jpg  

My Door -

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - Albert Einstein
Old 03-10-2014, 05:28 AM
Peasant

Liteceeper, Very nice door and workmanship. My first door was about the same thickness (amount of insulation) but I found it unwieldy when loading multiple loaves of bread. Now if I want to hold extra heat overnight, I use both my new door (the steel one with wheels) and my old door together, then just switch to the single steel door during the bake. I brewed my own beer for over ten years, and I find for me, half the fun is improving the equipment. It's boring watching an electric train set go around the track once it is set up.
cobblerdave likes this.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:13 AM
Apprentice

Wow, coming back to the tread after a few days... I see some great workmanship and ideas going on.

Cheers

Steve
Old 03-10-2014, 09:51 AM
Master Builder

Has anyone ever tried to use the glass from an oven door, or multiple glass from a commercially produced gas or electric oven to make a door for a WFO?

Am wondering if it is tempered making it impossible to cut after the tempering process. Would be really nice to have a full view door for baking times where the view is not distorted.

What did the old ovens in Europe use for doors in bygone days?

Sure is amazing to see the variations of doors members have fabricated to seal their ovens...all real works of art and the result of a lot of thinking! Gotta say "Wow" each time I see the masterpieces!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-10-2014, 07:06 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbhumbert View Post
Liteceeper, Very nice door and workmanship. My first door was about the same thickness (amount of insulation) but I found it unwieldy when loading multiple loaves of bread. Now if I want to hold extra heat overnight, I use both my new door (the steel one with wheels) and my old door together, then just switch to the single steel door during the bake. I brewed my own beer for over ten years, and I find for me, half the fun is improving the equipment. It's boring watching an electric train set go around the track once it is set up.
Thanks Rbhumbert, I know what you mean when baking bread even harder when you have no handles, but I have rectified that and door now works a treat. I also have a steel door and follow your method above.
Attached Thumbnails
Show us your Door Thread-img_0954.jpg   Show us your Door Thread-img_0958.jpg   Show us your Door Thread-img_0959.jpg  

My Door -

Old 03-13-2014, 12:01 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hey mikku

Am looking for tempered glass as we speak no luck yet. But will persist