Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Design Styles, Chimneys and Finish

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2006, 03:35 PM

Default Arched door

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalucca2003
I have a question that hopefully a mason or someone who has done this before can assist. I would like to create a brick arch opening on the lower opening of the stand where typically wood is stored. I am very close to finishing my block stand and I want to ensure I make the necessary arrangements for the arch before I complete the stand.
What I'm planning on doing is to build a wooden form to support the arch, a couple of inches thicker than the width of the brick. (I'm actually using stone, but it's the same principle.) The form will be open on the front, and I will lay up the brick arch, and point and finish the front, leaving the back rough. The brick arch, once it sets, will form the front of the form for pouring the slab, which will adhere to, and solidify, the back of the arch.

Hope that makes sense.
Old 08-31-2006, 04:09 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Default That sounds right

I think David is right with that. It's basically the same way you build an arch entry into your oven, but bigger. Cut a wood form that will support the brick (or stone) work until the mortar sets and it becomes self-supporting.

I really like the look of an arched entry into the wood storage area under the oven.
James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-31-2006, 04:44 PM
Master Builder

I think the arch design photo #21 in the Provence series lends itself nicely to the area over the brick storage - that looks like it could be applied right onto the square opening. Either use ColonelCorn's math or just lay the bricks out on a flat surface with the intended shape and trace the curve to cut the form.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:58 PM

Default pic

Quote:
Originally Posted by maver
the arch design photo #21 in the Provence series
Just to save someone else the effort of searching for it:
Old 08-31-2006, 09:50 PM
Apprentice

So it looks like I can go ahead and complete my block stand with the square opening and then create the arch later.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:32 PM
Master Builder

Dalucca, that's my plan.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:48 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Arch opening

Dalucca,

I've done this quite a few times, and here's the easiest method. Lay lintel iron across your opening in the stand to give you a square or retangular shape. When you go to lay your brick, go up the sides of the opening to the approx height you want, but make sure the arch will completely hide the iron when you're finished. Don't forget to add brick ties when you build your stand. Cut an angle on the last brick on either side on which to begin your soldier course. On a piece of cardboard, dry lay the bricks for the arch shape you want. When you're satisfied, draw said shape on the cardboard, cut out, then cut two pieces of 3/4" ply to the shame shape (screw them together before cutting to ensure accuracy). Add spacer blocks between the pieces to bring you out to the width of the bricks. Support this form in position with 2x4s, using cedar shim shingles under the feet (makes removal later easier). Lay bricks for arch, wait a day, carefully remove form. Voila.

Jim
Old 09-01-2006, 08:37 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckJim
Dalucca,

I've done this quite a few times, and here's the easiest method. Lay lintel iron across your opening in the stand to give you a square or retangular shape. When you go to lay your brick, go up the sides of the opening to the approx height you want, but make sure the arch will completely hide the iron when you're finished. Don't forget to add brick ties when you build your stand. Cut an angle on the last brick on either side on which to begin your soldier course. On a piece of cardboard, dry lay the bricks for the arch shape you want. When you're satisfied, draw said shape on the cardboard, cut out, then cut two pieces of 3/4" ply to the shame shape (screw them together before cutting to ensure accuracy). Add spacer blocks between the pieces to bring you out to the width of the bricks. Support this form in position with 2x4s, using cedar shim shingles under the feet (makes removal later easier). Lay bricks for arch, wait a day, carefully remove form. Voila.

Jim
Jim,

Thanks for the reply. I have a couple of questions. First, I was going with the plans from Forno Bravo which call for angle iron. Is this okay or do I need the Lintel iron which I have not heard of?

And also, not sure about the brick ties and where to put them. Appreciate any assistance you can provide.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:27 AM
Master Builder

Brick ties - this is one vendor,

http://www.strongtie.com/products/connectors/BT.html

I think these can be applied either during block stand construction or with solid wall anchors after (which I'll end up doing). BTW, I called a local hardware store that carries Simpson products and had them order these, could not find anyone around with these in stock, they are about $1.50 a piece. I just need to find a friend with a rotary hammer - a conventional masonry bit on my regular drill did ok in my poured concrete hearth but has no power vs the concrete block.
Old 09-02-2006, 01:17 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckJim
Dalucca,

Jim
Jim,

Not being a mason at all I have a question, possibly a dumb one at that. If not mistaken, the bricks do not adhere to the iron...correct. It sounds like a form is built and is placed between the lintel and the bricks....again correct. I have attached a diagram from my uncle from Italy and that is the look I am going for.

Also, is it necessary to add the brick ties ahead of time or can they be added later. If they need to be added ahead of time, where are they placed and how are they attached. Sorry for all the questions and hope they make sense. I appreciate any assistance you can provide as I am complete with the blaock stand except for the opening.
Attached Thumbnails
Sample arch design photos-forno3.jpg