Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Design Styles, Chimneys and Finish

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2014, 03:23 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Repair question, need help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
Vermicrete is a good insulater. But, I think that is unless it is fully dried before ramping up the temps, it will help to have an expansion joint between the oven brick and the insulation. Ceramic Fiber blanket worked great in my case. In your situation, to keep from removing those great looking stone, I would fire it as much as possible to remove all moisture. Then I would place a vent at the top to relieve any further mosture that will be trapped in the oven. Then, I would patch and seal. But also, do as Dennis recomends. Put a roof over it
z
G'day
More than agree with the vent , it a good to have but its only usefull when the ovens damp and unusable. Prevent the water from getting is really what you want. If you don't want to cover it preventing the water from getting in is your aim. The cracks are from water trying to escape. A water tight cover on the front of the oven and a water tight chimney cover is your best insurance. Keep the water off that entrance brick. Take a cup of water pour it on the entrance hearth it will not be there long , its straight down those cracks and straight into those bricks. Then its into your insulation and from there its a long slow process to remove.
I like my oven in the open and have tried everything. Keep the hearth dry is the most successfully. I only did my final finish after being able to keep it dry
Regards dave
NCMan likes this.

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:54 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deejayoh - Is that Horst Leitner? I worked for him one summer when I was in grad school. Down in Laguna Beach @ AMP Research. Fun times! I still have the AMP B4 he gave me
Yes that's him. Quite an innovator. Well you would know better than I...I only purchased one of his creations. I always get alot of attention out on the trail..."What is that?"..."Was it made in the US, do they still make them?" etc...You should hold onto that bike, it might be a collectors item some day. LOL Thats what I tell myself about my ATK but used ATK's are usually pretty cheap...or unsold.

But enough about Horst! What is Ken going to do with his oven?....take more pictures I hope!

Regards,
AT

Last edited by ATK406; 02-26-2014 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Added Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:47 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
z
G'day
More than agree with the vent , it a good to have but its only usefull when the ovens damp and unusable. Prevent the water from getting is really what you want. If you don't want to cover it preventing the water from getting in is your aim. The cracks are from water trying to escape. A water tight cover on the front of the oven and a water tight chimney cover is your best insurance. Keep the water off that entrance brick. Take a cup of water pour it on the entrance hearth it will not be there long , its straight down those cracks and straight into those bricks. Then its into your insulation and from there its a long slow process to remove.
I like my oven in the open and have tried everything. Keep the hearth dry is the most successfully. I only did my final finish after being able to keep it dry
Regards dave
I agree with that. But, without being totaly protected from inclement weather, humidity, and long periods of unplanned unuse, the vent is a great "fail safe" .
cobblerdave likes this.