Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Design Styles, Chimneys and Finish (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   Render In Australia (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/render-australia-6799.html)

waitingtocook 05-15-2009 07:07 PM

Render In Australia

Hey guys, Im sure this has probably been covered before, but Im ready to render my oven, and was curious as to what other builders in Australia/melbourne have used?
I have read the basic mix of sand lime and cement, and will probably go that option, but after that, for weather proofing, I would be interested to hear what anyone has to say?
Much thanks,
Nic

brickie in oz 05-15-2009 08:09 PM

Re: Render In Australia

Hi Nic.
I just rendered the concrete cap on mine then painted it with acrylic paint, so far so good, but then again we havent had any real rain as yet..:p

gvzepp 09-17-2009 03:56 AM

Hi Guys,

Up to the render myself, how did you guys fair??, I have acouple of bags of premixed render from the building suplies, and was going to add some water proof of some sort and color. sound any good?

Thanks Brett...

david s 09-17-2009 04:31 AM

I think you are better off not adding a waterproofing agent to the render, because you want to allow moisture inside the oven get out. Don't be in a rush, fire it 10 times then add your waterproofing. Commercial renders don't have too much lime in them and it's lime that gives the render some elasticity, so if you are using a commercial cement render add additional lime.

gvzepp 09-17-2009 10:58 PM

Thanks David S,

Some good advice on the water proofing and lime additive to the render, I'll take that on board for sure.
I have the drying under control though, as I had finished the dome some time ago and had cover'd it with vermiculite..but came up just abit short of where I was happy with it, So had to wait until my next trip to Melbourne to purchase some more. I have even try'd my 1st pizza's last weekend (great taste) So on to the render this weekend and alls finished.

Regards...

david s 09-18-2009 12:53 AM

Wrap the whole thing in cling wrap after you've rendered, then leave it for a week, so the shell has a chance to harden.

ThisOldGarageNJ 09-18-2009 03:35 AM

I rendered mine about after a month of cooking, I wanted to make sure the vermic layer was dry,,, I also added color and acrylic fortifier, about 3 months now and good so far

Mark

Rodneyf 09-19-2009 04:48 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I used a mix of 1 part off white cement 4 parts rendering sand 1/2 cup of oxide and used Silasec as a waterproof agent. It seems to have worked fine but I still like to cover it to stop the birds crapping on it. The trick is to try not to attachh the render to the vent arch on the edges. By that I mean you need to let the arch expand without taking the render with it so you need to bring the render to the back of the arch only. That way as the arch expands it will crack along the joint of the render not try to split the render across the dome in order to expand. I hope that is clear enough.:D

gvzepp 09-20-2009 04:21 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Hi Rodneyf,

Yeah thanks that was clear enough however I had all ready covered some of the arch with the blanket and vermiculite..so I was commited to rendering part of dome arch join, Hopefully there is enough room for expansion with the blanket & vermic so's not to crack the render?? anyway I'll soon see.

Attachment 14467

Attachment 14468

Rodneyf 09-20-2009 04:38 AM

I hope it all works out for you. What mix did you end up using for your render?