Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Design Styles, Chimneys and Finish

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2007, 06:47 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Pompeii Oven in Switzerland: the Saga Continues...

I usually start with a small fire.. increasing it to the "plasma" state over a period of 45 minutes or so. Then I keep it at that state .. probably another 45 minutes. Until the entire dome is clean. From the very top all the way down to the floor. Now my last burn I accidentally loaded a few too many large pieces of wood toward the end. Thinking my dome was never going to go white.They were large pieces about 5 - 6 inches in diameter. So I still had a raging fire when the dome turned completely white. It probably burned for another 30 minutes. I think this may be why I had so much retained heat the following day. That sucker was HOT! Too hot, at first, for pizza!

So you may try firing an additional 30 minutes and leaving the coals in. Then blocking the door. (I've been using bricks.) And try baking your bread the next day.

I can't wait to try bread with the steam method this weekend.
My last loaf was good. But the crust was hard and very thick. Maybe the steam will solve that problem.

Have fun Frances!

And try those mushrooms this weekend if you enjoy things like that.!

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My costs:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My pics:

Old 11-29-2007, 08:01 PM
Master Builder

Eleven pizzas - cool! And bread ... still just a dream for me. I bet Dutch's suggestion about spreading the coals will help. The mosaic finish sounds great, as well as lots of fun to do too! As for heating leftovers, at least you're using your oven, which is more than I can say right now. I hope to ... no, make that WILL ... get back out there this weekend!!

Sarah
Old 11-30-2007, 06:35 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yeah Sarah, go for it! What's next for you? Insulation?

I hope to get a bit more done over the weekend too, maybe. The weather has turned a bit warmer again and wet... everyone else is hating it while I'm going: Hooray, ideal cement curing conditions!

Dave, I've been waiting for a chance to try those mushrooms ever since I read about them. Thanks for the advice, I'll try heating for longer before the next lot of pizzas and see what happens. (...watch this space... )
Old 11-30-2007, 07:18 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frances View Post
I'll try heating for longer before the next lot of pizzas and see what happens. (...watch this space... )
I'll be watching!
As usual~!

I'm a junky......

My costs:

My pics:

Old 12-02-2007, 08:55 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Reading through other people's posts, it sounds like I've been really lucky with the weather this weekend . Started covering the insulated dome with mortar... and I came up with a couple of questions:

- Should I have prepared the vermiculcrete in some way before covering it with mortar? I didn't want to make it wet, because it really seems damp enough already.

- How thick does the mortar have to be over the vermiculcrete?

- How thick should the layer of mortar be over the dome? The insulation underneath is really quite squishy, so the outside has to be like a self supporting shell. I'll be adding more chicken wire with a second (and third if necessary) layer of mortar, but I'd be really happy if I didn't have to put in more rebar...

Any advice would be very welcome.

On a lighter note, I'll add some "before" and "after" pictures of my pizza accessories. So far I've been turning the pizzas with our garden rake ... of course now I'll have to wait for the mortar to cure before I can try my beautiful new peel set.
Attached Thumbnails
Pompeii Oven in Switzerland: the Saga Continues...-pizzapeel-003.jpg   Pompeii Oven in Switzerland: the Saga Continues...-pizzapeel-001.jpg   Pompeii Oven in Switzerland: the Saga Continues...-pizzapeel-010.jpg  
Old 12-02-2007, 12:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Nice equipment Frances. I really like that little round peel. I must find one like it!!

And I need to start covering my insulation too.

I think I will follow your lead and see how it works for you.

Keep me informed!

Dave

My costs:

My pics:

Old 12-04-2007, 10:25 AM
Master Builder

Great tools for a great oven! Have you been able to finish the mortar yet?
Sorry, I haven't any advice on this one but will be watching your progress since I think we may want to finish ours off maintaining the round dome look ... once spring arrives (a long cold winter is predicted here).

Sarah
Old 12-04-2007, 09:58 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Dave, FB has those tools. Take a look at the FB store, nice items.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Old 12-05-2007, 02:33 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I would have liked the FB tools... I'd love to order something from FB, its just that I know from experience what shipping to Switzerland costs, plus the disgusting amount you pay in taxes. Its just not worth it.

Dave, where are the pics of the structure over your insulation??? You said you'd started, I want to know how you're doing this bit!!

Thanks Sarah. I haven't got any further with the mortar, because I went down with tonsilitis... of course just to make things worse, the weather has continued perfect for building . Oh well, we'll all get there eventually. Will you be cooking in your oven over Winter at all, or have you closed down completely for the time being?
Old 12-05-2007, 02:35 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Oh yeah, and I'd still be very glad of any advice to be had on the mortar thickness etc...