Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Design Styles, Chimneys and Finish

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2008, 07:30 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Pompeii Oven in Switzerland: the Saga Continues...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrritSki View Post
That's the sort of thing I was thinking of for my oven, broken coloured tiles in a sort of Gaudi style, but not quite so um, gaudy

I remember you mentioned it - and I certainly pricked my ears up on that one. You can bet I'll be watching your build with great interest.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:20 AM
Master Builder

Rog,

You've done stepped in it now......

Watch out!!!

Christo

Old 09-06-2008, 05:46 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Short break in the rain yesterday, so out I went... once the upper dome and chimney was finished I was thinking "hey, nearly done now".

... but NOO, the base must have about the same surface area as the dome. And more rain today, with nothing for me to do apart from posting the pics of my minimal progress. Never mind I'll get there one of these days!
Attached Thumbnails
Pompeii Oven in Switzerland: the Saga Continues...-mosaics9-001.jpg   Pompeii Oven in Switzerland: the Saga Continues...-mosaics9-006.jpg   Pompeii Oven in Switzerland: the Saga Continues...-mosaics9-009.jpg  

Old 09-06-2008, 08:06 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Oh, I love the last picture. Did you sprout wings to get that one?

It looks lovely and I can relate on the rain. But the major problem finishing here is I ran out of vermiculite... but I have found 3 more bags and should be on my way again as soon as hurricane season lets us breathe again.

Old 09-06-2008, 09:38 AM
Master Builder

Absolutely stunning work!

Old 09-07-2008, 12:30 PM
Master Builder

Just more & more amazing with each new bit you do - it looks great!
Old 09-12-2008, 07:43 PM
Master Builder

I'm still in awe of Frances' new Avatar - such sweet work!!!!!

Christo

Old 09-27-2008, 08:19 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thank you all very much for your kind comments!

I've been really busy on the oven recently, but a bit fed up because there seemed to be diddley squat to show for it...

But today I discovered that if I climb onto the oven and over the fence into our neighbour's garden I can actually see the oven from BEHIND!!

Of course my first thought was to share the view with you lot. The second pic is a beauty shot from the side, not because there's any progress, but just because I felt like it.

Btw, if any of you think crawling into your oven to clean the inside of the dome is uncomfortable, try doing a couple of hours of mosaics half way up an oven with your head down between the base and the fence, your hair tangled in the fence wire and your nose about three inches from the little fiddley tiles... I'm surprised its turned out as well as it has, I couldn't see what I was doing half the time. The other half I was clutching my head going, gosh I feel so dizzy.

There's simply no end to the fun you can have with an oven, is there?
Attached Thumbnails
Pompeii Oven in Switzerland: the Saga Continues...-mosaik10-019.jpg   Pompeii Oven in Switzerland: the Saga Continues...-mosaik10-010.jpg  
tibort likes this.

Old 09-27-2008, 08:41 AM
Master Builder

So you're having fun - believe me, your results make it more than worthwhile!

Hope you're not ever planning to move - how could you ever leave that oven??!!

Sarah
Old 09-27-2008, 10:21 AM
Master Builder

Absolutely stunning work! Say, is that a base for a BBQ I see on the grassy area?
Wiley