Old 02-08-2008, 08:43 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Polishing concrete

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjbingham View Post
<snip> Polishing concrete is a long process, but kind of fun, if you're the kind of person that likes watching the grass grow. <snip>
While I have not been directly involved in pouring a concrete counter, I have witnessed several. Here are a couple of thoughts.

All of those that I have seen used a stain applied after the pour and polishing. If doing additional counter beyond the landing, try to do all of the staining at the same time.

A dry mix seems to be important. Packing it into the form is very important - it must be tightly packed. This step is important and you'll find that you used mussels that you did not use building the dome.

Spending some extra time tamping the top with a float and spending extra attention to the sides of the form is also important. Bang on the sides of the forms as a way to vibrate the sides. This helps reduce any air pockets or bubbles. These actions tend to drive the aggregate away from the surface and should reduce popouts and voids when polishing.

Hope this helps.

J W
Old 02-08-2008, 09:33 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

George,

Benjamin Moore makes an excellent product called "Concrete and Stone Sealant," which I've used on exterior flagstone with good results. Concrete has to cure 28 days before sealing, though. The first coat will go to a flat finish after about three months. I like that look, but if you want a shinier effect, just recoat.

Jim
Old 02-08-2008, 10:01 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

George,
I'm sold. That looks great! (I'm also a big fan of Quikrete and watching grass grow).

Can you post the eBay link of the vendor that is selling the grinders? I did a search for "POS Wet Grinder" and didn't have much luck .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Updated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-08-2008, 12:23 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjbingham View Post
The bad news is my wife likes it. She wants me to do the rest of the BBQ and bar tops in poured/polished concrete. "What else are you going to do with your time" she says.
So all your free time isn't baking pizzas, breads or briskets???? I would have thought that would be enough.

Like the polished concrete, may go that way as well - but first I need to get done.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:43 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Jim,
Thanks for the sealer info. I'll seek it out.

Ken,
Great laughs! My wife thinks I've lost my mind as I sit here grinnin' and postin'. I wasn't kidding about what a piece of junk it is, but the seller offered full refund for 30 days while talking to him on the phone. I does work, and I guess that's all that matters. Try "wet polisher" or wet grinder. You get the same things. Put a low-ball bid ( a couple of bucks higher) in the last couple of seconds before the auction ends on any that still have a reasonable price.

-