Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Design Styles, Chimneys and Finish

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2012, 02:24 AM
Laborer

Default Re: Oven Roof

that sounds great. Did you use steel or wood rafters? I have all the 2x6 fir rafters but am cautious about using them. Never worked with steel framing but I hear it is fairly easy. what did you use? do you have any pictures?
Old 09-13-2012, 08:00 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Well that may not be where you want to go....

I welded a I-beam roof made from 1.5 X 2 steel I-beams.

The beams were interlaced with chamfered 2X4s laid into the web of the I-Beams. This allowed a point to screw the ply into. The facia is a 2X6 that is screwed on to the outer i-beam from the back by drilling holes thru the web of the i-beam.

You can see the metal studs and a little of the cement backer board and the metal studs in the 4th photo.

The area around the flue is standard 2X4 steel studs to make that area fireproof.

Last photo is me doing some welding - there was a temporary roof over the final roof and you can see it in several of the photos.

Chip
Attached Thumbnails
Oven Roof-img_0698.jpg   Oven Roof-dscn2852.jpg   Oven Roof-dscn2877.jpg   Oven Roof-dscn2883.jpg   Oven Roof-img_0652.jpg  

Last edited by mrchipster; 09-13-2012 at 12:22 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 09-13-2012, 09:07 AM
Peasant

Hi,

I have done lots of framing, but not with metal studs. I used 2 x 3's for the walls and a heavier than normal gauge for the 2 x 4 rafters. 2 x 4 studs would have been a better choice. I completed the blocking after the images were taken. Code where I live requires hurricane clips and straps so they were installed too. I installed 1/4" hardibacker over the enclosure and then plywood roof sheathing. Code where I live requires hurricane clips and straps so they were installed too.

The four cedar 2 x 4's support the cantilevered roof rafters. I fired the stove for a couple of days to check maximum temps on the wood. They were in the 80 deg. range so I did not relpace them with metal.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Oven Roof-bc-framing1.jpg   Oven Roof-bc-framing2.jpg   Oven Roof-bc-roof1.jpg  
Old 09-13-2012, 12:20 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecrow View Post
Hi,

Code where I live requires hurricane clips and straps so they were installed too.

The four cedar 2 x 4's support the cantilevered roof rafters.
Don,

I'm not sure how the hurricane clips will help; with that much cantilever on your roof; if you get a hurricane that roof is coming off.

Chip
Old 09-13-2012, 01:24 PM
Journeyman

Personally, I would not use a cedar roof (just my personal opinon). Im sure it would be fine though if you take proper precautions.

For me, I did not want any flammable material in my oven. For my roof, I used asphault shingles (class A fire rated). They look great and were inexpensive. I used metal framing studs and hardi-board for the roof and sides. The only flammable material on my entire oven are the wood doors beneath (see attached pic).

I originally was planning a metal roof, but the asphault shingles looked great and were cheap! Metal roofing is more expensive.
Attached Thumbnails
Oven Roof-oven-final.jpg   Oven Roof-roof-1.jpg  

Last edited by jeeppiper; 09-13-2012 at 01:37 PM. Reason: needed to upload a pic
Old 09-13-2012, 02:10 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeppiper View Post
Personally, I would not use a cedar roof (just my personal opinon). Im sure it would be fine though if you take proper precautions.

For me, I did not want any flammable material in my oven. For my roof, I used asphault shingles (class A fire rated). They look great and were inexpensive. I used metal framing studs and hardi-board for the roof and sides. The only flammable material on my entire oven are the wood doors beneath (see attached pic).

I originally was planning a metal roof, but the asphault shingles looked great and were cheap! Metal roofing is more expensive.
Looks nice, and that first shot you had a frosty morning.

Chip
Old 09-15-2012, 03:14 AM
Laborer

I found steel framing material at Home Depot and am progressing with that build.
mrchipster likes this.