Old 08-14-2007, 03:11 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Oven in existing brick outbuilding

Looks good...the only odd thing I see, and it might just be the limit of google sketch, is that the chimney is generally right over the opening. Not sure why you would build a big collar out in front of the vent/chimney...if you have the space, just make it open landing area (to rest a pizza or a beer...)

Also, how low is low? I might mock up that height and door size in real life and try leaning over and putting a pizza in to see how you would feel about it.

Drake
Old 08-14-2007, 05:05 PM

I designed the height of my oven floor so that it was exactly at eye level when seated at the dinner table. That's 43" from the ground. There's no set rule about the height of the oven, except that you don't want to cook pizza on your knees.

That flared opening is a design feature? It might be more useful to have it open, and counter/workspace there. There's nothing wrong with doing it that way if you like the way it looks.

One little consideration - if your shed roof has a wood structure, there needs to be at least two inches of clear space between the oven and the sill plate. There's no real hazard - a full fired oven with proper insulation is only warm to the touch, but code calls for two inch clearance to combustibles.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:53 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

How tall are you? Seriously, if you put it at average eye level and you're fairly tall you'll be spending a lot on the chiropractor. The real world mock up is a good idea. I'm 5'4" and if I'm judging correctly from the diagram I'd find that an uncomfortable height to work at. (Never used a wood fired oven, yet, but I've done more than my fair share of baking - regular ovens are too low in my opinion.) It'd be okay for something I was going to leave in for a while, but things moving in and out fast would be a royal pain - literally.

Your back will probably like it higher. If you're mostly going to cook a few things then sit around looking at it then it won't matter so much. If you plan on doing any heavy duty cooking, however, I think your back will like you better if you bring it up to a counter height.

Conversely, you could just resurface the floor to bring it up to where those sitting at the table on the platform could see in whereas the cook would be standing on the ground level and have it at a good cooking height.

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
[/CENTER]
Old 08-15-2007, 02:58 AM
Apprentice

Thanks for the feedback.

The flared, shielded opening was I guess my response to the recent weather here, which of course the Californians won't even want to know about. But then, since it is all under a gazebo of sorts I'll just remove this "feature".

Smoke chamber with chimney close to the dome opening seemed natural. I did not include the dome door in the sketch as I used a "ready-made" Google library oven bit for this sketch. It will be there, just as in the Pompeii plans, which I don't intend to change. My main intention in this thread (which, being myself, I did not state clearly) was positioning the oven using the existing shed.

Height is clearly an issue. Originally I wanted the working surface level such that I could see to the end of the oven without bending, and I am 6ft (182cm) tall. The presented "design" height was dictated by leaving the shed roof intact. I think you are right, and even though I do yoga, mixing it with cooking might be the wrong idea.

It looks like the shed is going. At least partly. Unless someone has an alternative idea. Like lifting the central part of the roof (providing more space between the insulation and the rafters too).

It is great to have some experienced, critical help ... thanks.

Best wishes,

W.
(in a very very wet Lake District smelling like Autumn already)

P.S. If anybody wants to use the Sketchup files for their own purposes I can upload them somewhere when I have corrected them a bit. They are not perfect, but they may be useful. Just let me know.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:34 AM

Most shed roofs are nothing to brag about. In addition, yours is sloped to dump water on top of your oven, and into your bake house area. Here's my suggestion. Loose the shed roof, and extend the roof of your bake house to the end wall of your garage. For one thing, it will make the bakehouse roof much more stable to have the end rafter assembly bolted to the garage wall, and also, the entire work area and the oven will be more waterproof. You could then extend your shed walls upward to the new rafter line with the same brick you are using for your oven housing.

Just remember, the rafter structure has to be framed two inches from the outside of the masonry chimney. The gap is covered with flashing, which is a little beyond the scope of this reply. If you are using a commercial chimney unit, it will have it's own clearance requirements, but it will be self flashing.

I've drawn a couple of lines on top of your .jpg, to suggest what I'm talking about.
Attached Thumbnails
Oven in existing brick outbuilding-shed.jpg  
Old 08-15-2007, 03:50 AM
Apprentice

Thanks, got the idea (I hope). I'll put it into Sketchup with the oven higher off the ground and the flared opening taken off. I like this much more than my original setup - it had too many roofs.

I'll ask a friendly local builder to help me with the flashing (and probably with the slates too). In this part of the country people combine grey slate with lead flashing - looks nice and grey I suppose.

I think I'll start with building the roof over the whole thing with allowance designed in for the chimney, as you suggest, but temporarily covered until I get the oven and the chimney up. This will make me less weather dependent.

I think I can then get rid of the shed altogether, or build some basic walls at the edges of the roof.

Thanks again.

W.

Last edited by Wlodek; 08-15-2007 at 06:56 AM. Reason: articles and minor clarifications
Old 08-16-2007, 09:02 AM
Apprentice

Comments taken on board (thanks!) , shed demolished (the virtual one). New design pictures attached.

In the view from above you can see how there is quite a lot of sheltered storage space.

There is also electrics and water tap (somewhere).

I used some components from the Google Sketchup repository - very useful ('Chopped wood' by baldeagle and 'Grills and ovens' by Phil).

Thanks a lot for the feedback. I'll report any progress and ask more questions as I go along.

W.
Attached Thumbnails
Oven in existing brick outbuilding-_overall_view_no-roof.jpg   Oven in existing brick outbuilding-height.jpg   Oven in existing brick outbuilding-overall_view.jpg   Oven in existing brick outbuilding-view_from_above.jpg   Oven in existing brick outbuilding-view_from_the_table.jpg  

Old 08-16-2007, 04:29 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Looks good! Why is the oven so deep though?

[/CENTER]
Old 08-17-2007, 02:25 AM
Apprentice

Archena,

Thanks

The oven itself isn't that deep. See the attached "naked oven" picture. This is the same component (in Sketchup lingo) I used in the patio design (I'll post the components or the whole thing if anyone wants it). You have this plus vertical brick walls around its perimeter. I have even cut off the shelf in front of the oven (making it less deep) so that I can put a nice old cast-iron door on the front. This would be in addition to the internal oven door (metal and wood), and with a function of keeping the cats, spiders, snails, slugs and children out of the oven.

Cats won't be deprived though, as I am sure they will love it on top of the oven, with the shelter of the roof and the gentle warmth coming from below. Children will be suitably trained when they reach the required height and will then be allowed to bake pizzas for me. The other creatures will be discouraged permanently.

In the back of the enclosure (sorry, the "from above" view in the previous post with 5 pictures is not that clear) there is some storage space, which I want to keep out of sight to make it look tidy. The space (I guess - a reminder that there used to be a shed there) can also be locked - there is a door planned on the left side of the oven.

I am afraid now it is "just" getting the materials and doing it. Unless I botched something big time with the design, that is.

Best wishes from the wet South Lakes,

W.
Attached Thumbnails
Oven in existing brick outbuilding-the_naked_oven.jpg  
Old 08-17-2007, 06:23 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Ah, I see now - cool!

I'm a little slow on the uptake lately.

Best wishes!

[/CENTER]