Old 12-22-2009, 02:25 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Oven door rope seals

Neill,
I totally agree with you. Stainless steel is about the only material deemed safe for food prep. Those commercial knives are made with the handles moulded on in one piece so there is no possibility of bacteria getting between the layer of plastic and steel. We were at the Gold Coast for a couple of weeks recently and I went into a shop to buy some ham off the bone. The shop assistant took out the ham with uncovered hands, sliced the requested quantity, wrapped it up, took my money, then brushed her hair with her hand. Now this is how we all (us old folk) remember things being done, but by modern commercial hygiene standards this is not good enough. I didn't say anything, the ham was nice and we ate it all.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:36 PM
Apprentice

Then you cook it at intolerable temperatures that kill off any bad stuff. I will still do my wine in Oak for the flavor and use our Rock maple butcher block. We are not commercial.
B-
Old 12-23-2009, 04:03 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

sodium silicate can be easily bought off ebay,, I used it as a rigidizer for the insulation in my home made forge... Its a thick liquid and can be brushed or thinned and sprayed on,, cooks to a stiff glass finish... For the americans here that are familiar with the Cash for Klunkers program, this is the stuff the govt, required to pour in car engines that were turned in so the engines were rendered totally unusable and couldnt be resold... Just some info...
cheers
mark
Old 12-23-2009, 05:08 AM

Quote:
The Sodium Silicate Wikipedia article referenced by SpringJim mentions, under "Refractory use", mixing it with vermiculite or perlite to form a hard, high temperature insulation board.
Has anyone tried this in lieu of a vermiculite/Portland cement mixture? If so what were the ratios used? How was the mixture cured? Is there any information relating the thickness of the mixture to the reduction in temperature from on side of the mixture to the other side?
There have been a lot of discussions about the use of sodium silicate, or waterglass, but I'm not aware of anyone who's used it and reported back. Most of the discussions were about high temperature mortar. If you do a Google search for:

site:fornobravo.com waterglass oven

You'll see lots of threads listed.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:12 AM
Apprentice

I found some other good sources: Chemicalstore.com and Refractory.EllisCustomKnifeworks.com they source many refractrory items.
B
Old 03-28-2010, 12:49 PM
Serf

you can try oven door rope with special rope seal adhesive