Old 12-20-2009, 09:07 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Oven door rope seals

It certainly wouldn't be classed as "food safe" but neither is timber. I use millboard BIO as an insulating panel as the material is safe.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:58 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Oven door rope seals

BurntFingers
I have dad this material on the oven since it's build and no sign of fraying or wearing to release fibres. I even have the same rope seal on a 30 year old slow combustion heater and although it is compressed through use, it is still very much 'in tact'.

Wikipedia define it as:
Fiberglass, (also called fibreglass and glass fibre), is material made from extremely fine fibers of glass.
Glass fiber is formed when thin strands of silica-based or other formulation glass is extruded into many fibers with small diameters suitable for textile processing.
The basis of textile-grade glass fibers is silica, SiO2. In its pure form it exists as a polymer, (SiO2)n. It has no true melting point but softens at 2,000 įC (3,630 įF), where it starts to degrade.

If you are going to get that concerned over the possibility of a few fibres of a relatively inert material, then we need to wrap ourselves up in a plastic bubble and watch the world go by. There are far worse airborne materials let alone radiation that does affect our well being.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Neillís kitchen underway

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:04 AM
Peasant

The Sodium Silicate Wikipedia article referenced by SpringJim mentions, under "Refractory use", mixing it with vermiculite or perlite to form a hard, high temperature insulation board.
Has anyone tried this in lieu of a vermiculite/Portland cement mixture? If so what were the ratios used? How was the mixture cured? Is there any information relating the thickness of the mixture to the reduction in temperature from on side of the mixture to the other side?
Old 12-21-2009, 04:18 PM
Apprentice

Talking Re: Oven door rope seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissanneill View Post
BurntFingers
If you are going to get that concerned over the possibility of a few fibres of a relatively inert material, then we need to wrap ourselves up in a plastic bubble and watch the world go by. There are far worse airborne materials let alone radiation that does affect our well being.

Neill
Neill,

I used the material on a heavy wood inner door and it frayed poorly leaving me concerned as to it's safety.

I would stay away from plastic bubbles as they most certainly outgas PVC's.

Bill aka Burntfingers
Old 12-21-2009, 04:20 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdn1 View Post
The Sodium Silicate Wikipedia article referenced by SpringJim mentions, under "Refractory use", mixing it with vermiculite or perlite to form a hard, high temperature insulation board.
Has anyone tried this in lieu of a vermiculite/Portland cement mixture? If so what were the ratios used? How was the mixture cured? Is there any information relating the thickness of the mixture to the reduction in temperature from on side of the mixture to the other side?
I too are interested in the proportions to make a hard, high temperature insulation board. I want to pour it into the hollow of my oven inner door.
Bill aka Burntfingers
Old 12-21-2009, 04:27 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
It certainly wouldn't be classed as "food safe" but neither is timber. I use millboard BIO as an insulating panel as the material is safe.
Clean untreated Pine or Oak as far as I know is okay for food contact. After all my wine barrels are made from Oak and my peels are Pine. I don't understand about "timber." I would never use chemically treated wood near food or those species considered dangerous to eat.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:46 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Burntfingers
Quote:
I would stay away from plastic bubbles as they most certainly outgas PVC's.
There is no plastics in the rope seal, only braided glass fibres.
I would agree with you if it was resinous or fibre-reinforced polymer (FRP)

Neill

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway

Old 12-22-2009, 07:35 AM
Apprentice

The plastic bubble reference was meant to be a joke. A poor attempt at humor on my part. It has no reference to using it on a WFO. I guess we don't speak the same dialect of English. Close only counts in playing horse shoes and hand grenades. Not in English.
Sorry.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Any wood is considered not food safe presumably because of its cellular structure and its ability to harbor bacteria. Commercial kitchens are not really meant to use wooden- handled knives. All butchers use plastic-handled knives now. I think it is a bit ridiculous and an overkill but thats our law makers for you.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:16 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Isn't it ironicle that for centuries, ie. until the advent of plastics was introduced in 1938 when Nylon was introduced, that wood was the staple material that most utensils were used in/on and now it is deemed unsuitable.

Quote:
Commercial kitchens are not really meant to use wooden- handled knives. All butchers use plastic-handled knives now.
I don't take these regulations too seriously as wood will be around for centuries to come and will still be used. Granted, some is chemically processed, some very porous whilst other types (hardwood, close grained) lend themselves for continued use. I have some very dense Mulga, personally collected from the centre of Australia where there were no chemicals used which will be put to use at some stage in the kitchen or replacement handles on the best and oldest most used knives. Let's face it, bacteria will still find its way in behind plastics handle layers, so good housekeeping and hygiene principles need to be observed when dealing with food, more so with the public than at home.

Neill

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway