Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Design Styles, Chimneys and Finish (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   Oven door design and paint fumes (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/oven-door-design-paint-fumes-6213.html)

Jochen 02-28-2009 10:23 AM

Oven door design and paint fumes

3 Attachment(s)
Finally got around to start with my oven door.

A friend of mine got hold of some metal sheet about 1,5mm thick.

We started to cut out two pieces in the shape of the oven arch. One was so that it fits between the inside arch the other was slightly lager but small enough to fit between the outside arch.

The idea was to weld a sandwich construction and fill it with a fire blanket that I had left over from insulating the doom. I did however decide against the insulation as I am worried about getting the fibres from the insulation into the food.

In the end we kept the sandwich design but didn’t fill the gap with anything. The handles are made from metal rod with file handles at the end. We also attached a BBQ thermometer.

To finish it off, I am planning to spray it with a black oven spray that I bought in the local DIY shop. Although the paint is specified for high temperatures I wonder whether there are any fumes from the paint that might be health problem. Has anyone had problems with painted oven doors before?

Ken524 02-28-2009 01:48 PM

Re: Oven door design and paint fumes

I used Krylon's High Heat BBQ & Stove paint for several projects (my WFO oven door, gas grill, etc). Never had a problem. Works great!

Ken

gjbingham 02-28-2009 10:48 PM

My paint has peeled off a bit from the edges. The stuff was rated to 1300 degrees I think, so I doubt that heat was the source of the peeling. As far as the fumes, I don't believe they've affected me so far, but I could be wronggglsdlkfklsdlkfksllvnneielgnsfrokfr

:)

Frances 03-01-2009 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gjbingham (Post 51628)
As far as the fumes, I don't believe they've affected me so far, but I could be wronggglsdlkfklsdlkfksllvnneielgnsfrokfr

:)

Ah, well this would of course explain a great deal... ;)

Ken524 03-01-2009 05:54 PM

George,

Your years of sniffing nitrous oxide likely killed a lot more brain cells then that paint! ;)

gjbingham 03-01-2009 08:33 PM

Ken,
Nasty rumors I tell you! I don't know how all those gas cylinders ended up in the trunk of my car!

Jochen 03-02-2009 10:03 AM

Hmm maybe should not use the paint.... :D

I am going to use the oven paint but only on the outside. It doesn’t really matter how the other side looks like. Should it go rusty it might add a bit of iron to the food which might even be good for you.

The paint I am going to use comes in a spray and is rated at 650 degree Celsius and from English company “Winther Browne”.

I’ll let you how I got on with it.

(next time I start a thread I also try to place in the correct section!:mad:)

Jochen 06-04-2009 08:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have used the door the fist time last Saturday. It worked very well. The paint stayed on. The spray paint I used was bought in the local B&Q.

The sandwich construction seems to isolate better then I thought. The thermometer on the door still showed 80degC on Monday morning. This was after backing bred and having the door open for about 4 hours during Sunday.

CajunKnight 06-04-2009 03:04 PM

perfect!!!

thebadger 06-05-2009 02:04 PM

CajunKnight...

Hope you're doing well...!

I just use the hi temp black spray for BBQ's that most are mentioning - haven't noticed any fumes.

Thanks
DIck