Old 05-18-2008, 02:19 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: Ottawa Oven - Onward Once More!

Photo of the lintel stone, propped in place.

I like the craggy look of it and am thinking I might just have to set something interesting into that hole - no idea what yet, but something ...

Sarah
Attached Thumbnails
Ottawa Oven - Onward Once More!-lintel-stones.jpg  
Old 05-19-2008, 02:32 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Nice nice nice! I love your lintel stone... how about putting a little bit of crystal in the hole Pushed a bit back, so it only catches the light if you look closely... then you can count how many visitors discover the hidden diamond

Good call on the stones, I bet they'll look great!

...why don't my neigbours ever throw stuff like that away...?
Old 05-19-2008, 03:31 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Ottawa Oven - Onward Once More!

Hi Sarah,
It is pretty miserable here tonight but managed to get got a couple of pics of the bookleaf stonework but also went through the old photo albums and scanned a few of the images of the walls. The titles speak for themselves.
The kids are now 31 and the 2 girls (twins) are 29 years of age. How time goes by.
I will take my camera with me tomorrow and get some pics of the 'humpies' which cost around a quarter of a million dollars to construct, but that's the price people pay for 'Art'

Neill
Attached Thumbnails
Ottawa Oven - Onward Once More!-pool-bookleaf-web.jpg   Ottawa Oven - Onward Once More!-front-1977-web.jpg   Ottawa Oven - Onward Once More!-front-1978-web.jpg   Ottawa Oven - Onward Once More!-kids-1982-web.jpg  

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Neillís kitchen underway

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:38 PM
Master Builder

Neill, nice work on that wall and great-looking kids sitting on top of it! I hear you about time going by - I unburied some old photos yesterday that made me wonder how the time goes that fast ...

Frances, a crystal is a great idea. I was thinking too of 'toad in the hole' - rather than the egg & toast variety, a small bronze or cement one, or maybe some other small critter. Lots of time to sort it out.

Today is a holiday here in most of Canada, but not in Quebec, so I took a trip across the river to try and find some stucco - no luck. My plan is to cover both stand and dome in stucco, for waterproofing, then cover that with the finish materials I want at my leisure.

Now - HELP! - some questions:

Does anyone know, would there be any adhesion problems later in doing the stone & mortar (or anything else for that matter) over the stucco?

Also, still waiting for someone to answer me about the area between the steel vent and the oven dome, where smoke could try to escape - if there is a gap somewhere and smoke seeps into that area, is it a major or minor problem??

Oh yeah, and when I knock on the vermiculcrete layer over the dome and blanket, it sounds like a big hollow drum! Is that OK???

Thanks,
Sarah
Old 05-19-2008, 04:05 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Sarah,
if your stucco is rough, then all I would do is to wet it before applying mortar and laying the stone or brick. You could also sprinkle the wet join with portland cement to improve the junction. Floor tilers use a special almost latex solution to improve adhesion of the new tile adhesive on existing cement floors.
If the stucco is smooth, I would roughen it with a grinder and then wet it and portland it.
I am about to seal my stainless vent hood to dome with some vermiculte cement with a little fireclay in it, . It was made and fits reasonably well but it is steel bolted to bricks. I was thinking of using refractory cement but I am doing to give the vermiculite a go. I also have some chicken wire that I will roll onto a small cylinder and insert as reinforcement. It can't do any damage and will help.
As far as the vermiculite and stucco sounding hollow, so it should as it would have been put over the superwool thermal blanket and now is basically an insulated shell sitting comfortably over your dome.
If you didn't use a wool blanket, then I would be a little more concerned but a small air gap will also add to the insulation properties of your oven.
I have my camera today and will get the pictures of the stone 'humpies' which look like dome ovens on the forum tonight.

Neill

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway

Old 05-19-2008, 04:24 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Sarah,
just got a pic from my eldest daughter Alicia, (12 minutes older than her twin sister). She is the one sitting on the left of the group on the front bookleaf wall, with her 10 month old daughter Belle.

Neill
Attached Thumbnails
Ottawa Oven - Onward Once More!-alicia-belle-cropped.jpg  

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway

Old 05-20-2008, 01:26 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi all,
here are the pic tures of the 'humpies' cast in reinforced concrete and tiled with Kanmantoo stone (a nearby stone quarry some 80km away) in a bookleaf style or pattern.
There are 25 in total, on both sides of the road, lit by computer controlled light and costing megga bucks.
Pitty they didn't cast them in refractory mortar so that they could be used as a WFO, 25 in close proximity for one hell of a cook-up eh!!!
They are about 6' high and 5' in diameter.
They had to make them sealed as the local indiginous (aboriginal people) would use them as a residence.

Ottawa Oven - Onward Once More!-humpie-close-up.jpg

Ottawa Oven - Onward Once More!-humpie-2.jpg

Ottawa Oven - Onward Once More!-humpie-sign-cropped.jpg

Neill

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway

Last edited by nissanneill; 10-14-2009 at 06:05 AM.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:45 AM
Master Builder

That's a lovely photo of your daughter & granddaughter. The humpies are rather impressive too but, I agree, too bad they are purely for show and not useful somehow. Is that what a traditional aboriginal home looks/looked like?! Perhaps that photo should have its own thread here on the forum - I'm not sure the same volume of people will ever find it here ... thanks for taking the time to show me what they are though. It reinforces that Australia's a place I'd really like to visit some day!

Sarah
Old 05-24-2008, 03:35 PM
Master Builder

Started on the stonework today!

Nothing's mortared in yet because I got off to a late start (other errands got in the way ) - just worked at stone placement for the top of the stand.

The plan is to mortar them in place tomorrow, then maybe start on covering the dome ...
Attached Thumbnails
Ottawa Oven - Onward Once More!-stones-no-mortar.jpg  
Old 05-25-2008, 08:40 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

This is going to look so cool!!! Are you going to do the sides of the stand as well, or will they be different?