Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Design Styles, Chimneys and Finish

View Poll Results: Is your wood storage are open or does it have a door?
I left it open 25 65.79%
I enclosed it with a door 13 34.21%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2008, 03:27 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Open or closed wood storage

Reminds me of this thread (one of the first I participated in... )

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/6/wo...rs-2411-2.html (Wood Storage Door vs. Critters)

I think it rather depends on how agressive your local wild life is - pretty tame around here, so no door on mine.

The kindling is stored in a metal bucket just inside the door, and whenever I run out I just collect a couple more fallen branches from the woods.
Old 05-24-2008, 07:53 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les View Post
I left it open. It just seemed to me that the darker it was, the more inviting for spiders

Les...
Oh, I hate spiders. Really, really hate them. I will be spraying the crap out of my wood storage underneath the oven. I don't think I'll be having doors, though.

My stand is open on 3 sides, and I think I'll have the larger pieces on the two sides facing out, and the kindling on the short angled side.

Here's hoping that 3 big dogs will keep the rest of the critters away from the oven and the woodpile!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-24-2008, 08:07 AM
Journeyman

If I were to install a door I would have to use the louvered type with a mesh screen on the inside. Looks very nice from the outside and keep critters on the down low. Also keeps fresh air circulating. My bigger concern would be heat build up under the hearth. It may be minimal now but if the area is closed off the heat would build with no escape. If you put a 60 watt bulb inside a box you can hatch eggs with an easy 100+ degree temps
Now for another question... Many have stated temps on the outside of the dome, has anyone ever measured the heat below the hearth? I still have to vote no doors or vented doors. Darn it... every post gets me wondering other things. Now I am thinking about a ventilation system under the dome lol.

My 44" oven in progress...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:10 PM
Apprentice

I do not have it yet but I plan to put one; I do not want to be a nest for rabbitts or mice, regarding the moisture, I plan to keep it open when I am around. On top, a door will add a nice look to th entire structure.
I measured the temperature under the dome after few hours the oven was running at 500 celsius and it was no more then 45-50C in a warm day.

Last edited by biondoli; 05-28-2008 at 03:13 PM.
Old 12-26-2009, 08:46 AM
Apprentice

Just ran across this thread. I did not read all of it so this might have been mentioned already. We will put a door on ours to keep rattle snakes out of the wood storage. Don't want to reach in and pull one of them out.

Tom
Old 12-26-2009, 01:11 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I designed my oven with plenty of overhand from the supporting slab which seems enough to keep out the weather.
Attached Thumbnails
Open or closed wood storage-darrens-oven.jpg  
Old 12-26-2009, 10:43 PM
Laborer

Kindling goes in a large outdoor garbage can with a tight fitting lid - keeps the weather out. I get mine from local area cabinet shops who have literally tons of kiln dried scrap hard and soft woods that would otherwise go to the dump.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:12 PM
Apprentice

My dog Lucy likes it open.
Attached Thumbnails
Open or closed wood storage-waynes-pizza-world.jpg  

Old 12-31-2009, 09:51 AM
Serf

I don't have a door yet, but I will be putting one on soon. I have already had rats in the woodpile and wasn't too happy with that.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:24 AM
Apprentice

Rats, I hate them. I was doing some work at Home Depot yesterday. While moving a pallet of potting soil a rat jumped out of the middle where it had built a nest. I left the pallet for the store to take care of. I don't mess with rats or mice.

Tom