Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Design Styles, Chimneys and Finish

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2013, 07:42 AM
Laborer

Default Re: Need Help with troubled oven

I don't think just 1" of insulation under the floor is necessarily the end of the world. Sure, it won't be as good as 4". But if it's damp it won't matter how thick it is. It looks like the project is too far-gone to dismantle and allow to dry out naturally. So a long, steady curing period will be necessary here.

I am almost embarrassed to admit that I only have 1" of calcium silicate board under my cooking floor, plus a 10mm layer of lean mortar, plus about 10mm of latex floor-levelling compound. (However, the supplier of my pre-cast tells you to mount the floor on "a layer of lean mortar" straight on the hearth!)

Some manufacturers seem to assume that you will be installing the oven indoors, where less insulation would be permissible.

Last edited by cleverdick; 02-02-2013 at 07:52 AM.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:11 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleverdick View Post

Some manufacturers seem to assume that you will be installing the oven indoors, where less insulation would be permissible.
I believe insulation is important for any oven just because it was inside would make little or no difference. And in fact be even more important inside so as not to overheat the interior of the home or structure.

-14F night before last (oven 280F today) and cooking brazed short ribs today. Bread at 520F Thursday night outside -5F Yummmm...

Chip.
Attached Thumbnails
Need Help with troubled oven-img_2344.jpg   Need Help with troubled oven-img_2345.jpg  

Last edited by mrchipster; 02-02-2013 at 10:22 AM.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:21 PM
Laborer

Great thread,
Visiting a work mates house this week to check out his oven. It is a barrell style but he is unhappy with it. He feels it is too large and takes too long to heat up 3-4 hours. Also has difficulty cleaning the edges. Also can only cook on the night not the next day. He said that when he built it there was no mention of installing any insulation. But he decided to put loose vermiculite around the top. 'Thank Goodness'
I was thinking that if he lifted the floor and installed some Cal Si board under the floor he could relay the floor. This should help with the heat loss. And if neccesary pop some triangle bricks along the sides to help with the angle and allow him to clean the edges.
I'll post again once I have seen the oven.

My build so far

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Starting out collecting info and materials

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:29 PM
Master Builder

Been spending some time reading old posts.
In different cases, a tear down was suggested where it would involve crashing all the brickwork in the dome. (Or tearing out some bricks--to install "I" lifting beams) Here, nobody suggests a tear down when the dome is in one piece and a lifting ring cast in place. Is that funny or just me?

Sure you will loose some blockwork at the front, but that is not a high ticket item. With that removed, the entire dome could be raised as a unit, floor brick removed carefully and additional insulation installed. Making that part of the build up to any oven user's standard.

Brickie demonstrates in his build that if done properly the chimney can be within the burn chamber. Same technique could be used here with sliding damper. In some ways it really makes sense--have the stack located where it will draft the best for a roaring fire, then close it down for more heat retention and close it entirely for baking.

Placing the chimney more forward creates a heated landing area.

It looks like Brickie's design also eliminates the need for an inner door and outer blast door-- substituting the damper for the outer blast door.

Looks to me that this oven could be easily salvaged, just have to swallow the idea of a slight tear down before proceeding to completion.