Old 04-11-2013, 02:02 PM
Serf

Default Re: Need advice on chimney and outer arch construction

Thanks Mike
That;'s good advice. I always wear gloves, but still end up getting cement and other nasties on my hands. Maybe I will use balsamic vinegar and claim it is a new kind of after-shave.
Incidentally, I have been sent photos from a guy who has retrofitted a clay chimney to his oven. He shaped clay around a wire skeleton, which obviates the need for a mould (mold in American?) It looks a bit "rustic", but I imagine it could be finished nicely with a coat of render.
Cheers
Max
Old 04-11-2013, 03:39 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SableSprings View Post
Max, since you are going to be working with lime and home brew mix I suggest you pick up a gallon of cheap white vinegar. After working with any cement/lime mix, wash your hands with soap & water and then give 'em a good rinse & rub with the vinegar. (I find that even wearing gloves I end up getting my bare fingers involved somehow with the mix or components...) The mild acid neutralizes the lime (base) component that's still on/in your skin and really helps keep your hands from cracking & hurting.
Another trick is to use a good hand moisturizer prior to, and intermittently while doing the work (Ask your social director which one she uses). It will help but not prevent irritation.

Chip
Old 04-11-2013, 07:36 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Back when my hands were accustomed to brick laying, I kept them coated in mineral oil. In those days I had no finger prints . Lately I have become fond of disposable latex exam gloves. They are relatively cheap, if you can get them in the box of 100. I still use a scented variation of mineral oil, though . It is called "baby oil" .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-12-2013, 01:55 AM
Master Builder

I use vinegar afterwards..... funny enough it does work.
Although it does attract jokes about fish and chips

Old 04-12-2013, 02:28 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Fingers cracking and burning.
I think it is the clay that does it, the lime wouldnt help thou.

Working for years as a brickie with the same mix of mortar day in and day out the only time my fingers cracked and burnt was during winter when it rained more.

Where we are has a very reactive clay subsoil, when it gets wet the clay sticks to very thing, if you walk through it, it gets on your clothes, tools and equipment.

Old 04-21-2013, 05:46 AM
Apprentice

If you build an enclosure around the oven, do you still need to build a chimney around the clay flue liner? It seems I have seen a couple of youtube ovens where they did not build a chimney, but just left the flue alone.

Thoughts?
Old 04-21-2013, 11:00 AM
Apprentice

I believe most places have codes regarding leaving an air space/gap between the chimney and any flammable objects (i.e. plywood roof/wood joists). I built a brick chimney around my double flue liner primarily for looks. I also felt a little uncomfortable looking at the tall stack of liners with all those seams that could get damaged or fail over time...the external brick chimney gave me piece of mind (and made it easier to build the roof/chimney interface).
)

Photo albums

Old 04-21-2013, 05:41 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SableSprings View Post
The small air gap you'll have between the firebrick and facade will be much more effective if you don't fill it (especially with hi temp silicone). Also on the lateral chimney support, I just put in a couple extra pieces of rebar down the holes in my side chimney bricks and again at an angle on the outside embedded in the insulation cladding (perlcrete for mine). Seemed to tie it all together quite nicely.
I fill the gap between the outer decorative arch and the entry with vermicrete. It is slightly flexible so it can work as an expansion joint as well as a thermal break. Some builders cover the gap with some stainless sheet as this area gets some rough treatment.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:20 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabby View Post
If you build an enclosure around the oven, do you still need to build a chimney around the clay flue liner? It seems I have seen a couple of youtube ovens where they did not build a chimney, but just left the flue alone.

Thoughts?
No, you don't need to build a chimney around a clay flue...but you want 4" min air space from combustible surfaces.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin