Old 04-19-2011, 03:06 AM
Peasant

Default Re: Need advice on chimney and outer arch construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by SableSprings View Post
The small air gap you'll have between the firebrick and facade will be much more effective if you don't fill it (especially with hi temp silicone). Also on the lateral chimney support, I just put in a couple extra pieces of rebar down the holes in my side chimney bricks and again at an angle on the outside embedded in the insulation cladding (perlcrete for mine). Seemed to tie it all together quite nicely.
Thanks Mike, I'll be sure to add some side support. Love the Dragons Den by the way!!

My Picasa Web Photo Albumn -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:35 PM
Banned

I am going to build a new home and i joined this community to get advice about chimney and outer arch construction. Please help me, advices are appreciated.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:33 AM
Serf

Hi guys
I have read of using clay pipe chimneys. Are these standard pipes or are they made of refractory clay?
Has anyone ever made their own using clay? I thing I might give it a go, using a PVC pipe as a form, however, I have a concern that I might not be able to get the pipe off the form.
Does anyone have an idea of how thick the clay pipe wall should be?
Grazie in anticipo
Old 04-09-2013, 01:52 PM
Apprentice

I built my chimney with brick around a flue liner. The liner is available in Oregon (USA) in various diameters (both rectangular & circular) and about 3/4" to 1" (20-25 mm) thick. Sections tend to be about 1' (30-32 cm) long. The material appears to be a finer grade, fired clay that looks a lot like regular clay brick. Although you could make a clay tube to act as a flue, I think you'd need to fire it for the needed strength & durability. (If I was going to try making enough for my chimney, I'd cut a short length of PVC lengthwise and insert some plywood circles to hold the shape of the original. Then after the clay was formed around the pipe and dried thoroughly, I'd take out the plywood and then the PVC sections would be easily removed.) After making the flue sections, I'd build the old fashion, single use (Chinese & Roman) temporary firing kiln to fire them with an open flame/coals.

Frankly, although making the flue liners would be interesting...I'm not sure if you'd get the strength, consistency, and durability of the commercial product. In either case, welcome to the forum and good luck with the project which ever way you decide to go.
)

Photo albums

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by SableSprings; 04-09-2013 at 01:56 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:23 PM
Serf

Thanks for that good advice. A problem we have in New Zealand is that it is almost impossible to buy the sort of products you are talking about. I guess this is a drawback of having such a small population.
Most of our local brickworks have either closed down or make decorative bricks. When is comes to pipes it is just about all plastic. The few clay pipe suppliers have all said their products won't stand the heat.
I think I will have a crack at making my own from a clay cement, sand, and lime mix I have been advised works well for making pizza oven domes (as a substitute for fire bricks). Your idea for a mould is brilliant.
Cheers
Max
Old 04-10-2013, 12:54 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Max,
You could form the clay pipe inside the PVC pipe and allow it to dry. Around 25mm should be a good thickness. It will shrink away from the pipe as it dries and you will be able to remove it easily. If you form over the pipe it will shrink as it dries and make removal difficult if not impossible and if allowed to dry completely will probably crack. Depending on the type of clay and the grog content, expect around 5% shrinkage from plastic state to dry and a further 5% after firing. However there is an alternative which does not involve making the pipe in two pieces. You can wrap and tape the PVC pipe in a layer of plastic, form your clay around the outside of the pipe and then roll the whole lot over a few times. This will increase the diameter of the clay pipe and you can then slide out the PVC one. It will be quite difficult to fire the clay pipe to 1000 C safely without cracking it, especially if you intend using a wood fired kiln. A clay pipe of this diam should be quite servicable but to avoid cracking it you should insulate it. Not good to have it cold on one side and hot the other. You'd probably have more success forming one using home brew over a sand mould. You could cast the whole vent and chimney in place at the mouth of the oven. It works I've done it. When done remove the sand.you just need to get the mix right so you can hand form it so it stands up vertically. Make it around 25 mm thick and add some stainless steel fibres and polypropylene fibres ( not absolutely necessary) if you can get them.
Dave

Last edited by david s; 04-10-2013 at 01:24 AM. Reason: More
Old 04-10-2013, 02:38 AM
Serf

Thanks David
Excuse my ignorance but what is home brew? I presume you are not talking about beer.
I have heard that I could mix a little sand, cement, and lime with the clay to 'set' it.
Does anyone have experience with this?
Max
Old 04-10-2013, 02:53 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Try using the search button. The recipe is 3:1:1:1 sand,cement,fire clay, lime. You can use bricklayers clay in place of fire clay it is much cheaper and works ok. I find it's best to apply the stuff with a trowel and hands, but the lime is vicious so use a good barrier cream or rubber gloves. If you have a cut on a finger you'll know all about it.

Last edited by david s; 04-10-2013 at 02:57 AM.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:57 PM
Serf

Thanks David
I'll give it a go as I have a cubic metre of clay from a brickworks
Max
Old 04-11-2013, 12:57 PM
Apprentice

Max, since you are going to be working with lime and home brew mix I suggest you pick up a gallon of cheap white vinegar. After working with any cement/lime mix, wash your hands with soap & water and then give 'em a good rinse & rub with the vinegar. (I find that even wearing gloves I end up getting my bare fingers involved somehow with the mix or components...) The mild acid neutralizes the lime (base) component that's still on/in your skin and really helps keep your hands from cracking & hurting.
)

Photo albums

Last edited by SableSprings; 04-11-2013 at 01:00 PM.