Old 04-11-2009, 11:32 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: Mosaicing our oven

I only posted the two small ones you had available at the time...

...I'll be over here in the corner...
Old 04-12-2009, 08:09 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Wow... just promise me one thing: When you mosiac your oven, please post some photos. I'd love to see what you'd do to an oven!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:20 PM
Laborer

Wink Re: Mosaicing our oven

Hey Frances, If it comes out anywhere near as good as yours I will be delighted!
do you have any pics of other stuff you have done?, I have just discovered mosaicing in the last few years, and I am like you very interested in other peoples work.. xx
Old 04-13-2009, 06:05 PM
Apprentice

I cant wait to see what you come up with. I can see Frances is going to have to share the "Over the Top" status of WFO builders. Just have fun with your project. You will so enjoy cooking in your WFO that has your personal touch! Good luck, and keep us posted with your designs.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:45 PM
Laborer

Well maybe I could be the London branch of arty farty people.. Looking forward to doing it..we are at the stage now of adding the 6 inch layer of vermiculite...shouldnt i wait till the final firing till i mosaic it or will it be safe to do it after the render, even before we have dried it out?...x
Old 04-14-2009, 05:23 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I would fire the oven well and thoroughly after the vermcrete has cured, but before adding the render - that way any humidity still left in the oven can escape.

Then render it, and once that layer has cured you can cook in the oven and mosaic at the same time... if you have four arms and days with more than 24 hours, that is.

Mosaic pictures? ...ok, I'll go right out and take some .

Old 04-14-2009, 07:20 AM
Laborer

FRANCES!... did you use any special adhesive ie; swimming pool stuff or anything?.. and grout?..is it enough to be stuff you would use in the bathroom?..
xx
Old 04-14-2009, 07:31 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Right, you asked for it...

The oven is the largest mosaic I've done so far. The practice run for that was the cement chair. The rest is small stuff: a small table, various window sills, vases, tea pots, plates, boxes, salt and pepper shakers etc etc. Most of these are on the Forum already somewhere or other.

We've got a bathroom renovation due soon, so that'll be fun .
Attached Thumbnails
Mosaicing our oven-mosaic-examples-011.jpg   Mosaicing our oven-mosaic-examples-003.jpg   Mosaicing our oven-mosaic-examples-010.jpg   Mosaicing our oven-mosaics2-021.jpg   Mosaicing our oven-mosaik-019.jpg  

Last edited by Frances; 04-14-2009 at 07:33 AM.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:48 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by shvuntz View Post
FRANCES!... did you use any special adhesive ie; swimming pool stuff or anything?.. and grout?..is it enough to be stuff you would use in the bathroom?..
xx
Ha, we posted simultaneously!

I'm not an expert or anything, probably any tile layer will know more about this than me, but for what its worth: On the chair I used some super water-resistant stuff and the tiles have been chipping off like mad. So I didn't use any grout on the oven, because I was doing a free style sort of mosaic, and it survived the last winter beautifully.

The adhesive I usually use is a cement-based one for difficult surfaces. Its supposed to be more flexible than the regular kind, but I don't honestly know if it makes much difference. As for grout, just double-check that its frost resistant. I don't know, do they have outside and inside grout at all? If they do go for the outside kind.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:53 AM
Laborer

Bloody Hell,,,beautiful... Lucky we dont live together , our home would be a tourist attraction!... Gaudi would be jealous!...
Thank you for advice...I shall research the Grout! x

Tags
mosaic