Old 11-20-2007, 05:40 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Metal Roofing Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken524 View Post
Any thoughts on using bare galvanized panels for the roof? Does it need to be painted or sealed for long term wear or is ok to just leave it the way it is?

When I screw this down to the steel studs, do I need to put sealant of some sort over the screws?
Ken,

When looking for fasteners (which have neoprene washers), you may be able to score some with a drill tip, which obviates the need for pilot holes as the fastener drills its own. I have used these after simply penetrating the steel roofing with a sharp bullet punch to locate the fastener works a treat!

Remember to get long fasteners, as roofing sheets are fastened through the crest of the corrugation, not the valley. You probably know this, but Id love a dollar for every home-built roof that has the fasteners in the valleys and leaks as a result!

Cheers, Paul.
Attached Thumbnails
Metal Roofing Questions-dsc_0302-medium-.jpg  
Old 11-20-2007, 07:00 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Paul,

Actually, I know very little about this stuff and likely would have been one of the half-wits that puts the fastener in the valley if you hadn't told me

I'll look for the fasteners with the drill tips. That sounds like a great idea.

Thanks for the info!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Updated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-21-2007, 08:23 AM
Apprentice

Wow.

1) Paul. I needed you around a year ago.. I guess I'm a half wit because I put my fasteners in the valleys. Seemed like putting them in the peaks would crush the peaks. I guess you just stop screwing before tha happens. I'm probably OK leak wise-as the crown flashing covers the screws up top, and the ones at the bottom are, well, at the bottom.

2) I think you guys are missing the point on the flashing. Of course I bought a roll, I wasn't trying to manufacture flashing. It's cutting/glueing/screwing that flashing together somehow to make a watertight joint around an irregular chimney centered on the peak of a roof that is made from irregular corrugated sheeting. I tried lots of angles, but glue woudn't really hold the stuff together well, it doesn't bend all that easily other than in straight lines, etc etc. If one of you is able to make it work, take some pics and I will happpily emulate!
Old 11-23-2007, 06:11 AM
Laborer

hope that i'm not too late to share a bit of info..there's a company called Fabral that manufactures a variety of metal roofing..there is a nice color selection and its available in steel and aluminum with a variety od accessory pieces..and believe it or not..when i've used it you can order it the exact length thats needed..no field cutting the panels..if youv go to their site Fabral they even have schematics on doing the chimney flashing..ridge vent..ect
Old 11-23-2007, 05:15 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Vincent, great find! Ken, you should see this site.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Old 11-24-2007, 04:50 AM
Laborer

Thanks Acoma..i've used their grandrib 3 numerous times..its nice stuff..and Hendo; believe it or not the self tapping washered screws for some of Fabrals roofing actually do get fastened into the flat and the nails into the ribs..sure surprised me the first time i installed it
Old 11-24-2007, 10:09 AM
Journeyman

Man, I can't wait for this thread to start yakking it up about standing seam copper.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:11 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

PizzaPolice, don't wait, start the yakking.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Old 11-24-2007, 05:29 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Some cretins stole thousands of dollars worth of Christmas decorations used for an annual display - evidently for the copper.

The only copper I'm putting on anything will be spray paint - if that!

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
[/CENTER]
Old 11-25-2007, 01:07 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
go to their site Fabral they even have schematics on doing the chimney flashing..ridge vent..ect
Thanks Vincent. I'll check them out!

Updated!