Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Design Styles, Chimneys and Finish

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2014, 09:29 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Mathematical analysis of dome geometry

With all that in mind, does anyone have any thoughts on what the optimal shape would be for a 26" oven using a grog based castable?
Old 05-14-2014, 10:44 AM
Journeyman

I read through this thread and I sit back and shake my head...and one word comes to mind: "REALLY????"

Radiant heat from the ccurved ceiling (elliptical, circular, cylindrical, parabolic.)....conductive heat from he floor....there is also a large convective heat component and complex flow patterns that aren't being discussed. Now throw an active fire into the mix....????

This is just my opinion, but rather than trying to boil our wood fired oven designs down to some engineering formula, I think we should all simply marvel in the creativity, ingenuity, and practicality of the ancient ones who developed them in the first place and the FB folks who brought this to the fore-front. RELAX and ENJOY, people!!! Each oven is going to be different....each design is optimum in its own way. When you combine the uniqueness of the oven with the imagination creativity of its chef.....

I've said enough and I hope I didn't offend anyone. Im probably going to get a lot of flack from this one.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:17 PM
Master Builder

We all look for something of substance to hitch our wagon to when planning and building a project as significant as a WFO. I am no engineer so I was impressed with the theories put forward by those with technical skills but the things that sold me on the Pompeii design was the Golden Ratio, the fact that they have been doing the job for 1000's of years and the apparent success of the design.

Add to that the magic of a flickering fire, the smells of good food and the good company it attracts and that's it for me.

It is the nature of man to complicate the simple things and I am sure that there will be tweaking of design and construction methods for as long as mankind draws breath.

Build Thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build Pics
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Forno Food Pics
Old 05-15-2014, 03:33 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

G'day
Third man in!
Yep I like the simplicity of the Forno WFO. Oven door, 63 per cent oven of the internal height, a little less than half the internal width for the door.
If its low dome or high doesn't matter, it breaths and regulates itself.
As for the heat it not like a domestic oven and standard recipes, its more like you take you time to cook things as you like. Too high protect it, to low, no such thing just leave it a little longer.
What's with the radiant heat from a brick/caste oven? Its about as different as possible from that from a microwave as you can get. More forgiving I suppose.
The saying goes "don't over think it" it true with a WFO , it follows the laws of nature so don't muck with the ultimate law...
Regards dave

My Build

My Door