Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Design Styles, Chimneys and Finish

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2011, 04:34 PM
Laborer

Default Re: Mathematical analysis of dome geometry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lburou View Post
mklingles, you have peaked my interest with these data. The calculations suggest a flaw in the asserted conclusion that a shorter dome has superior pizza cooking performance to a traditional hemispherical dome.....The calculations also show little or no difference in floor temperature!!
The OP's first post states that his figures do not take a fire or live coals into account. It seems that would negate the findings in regard to pizza cooking, which is done with a fire and live coals. As a matter of fact, I would think that the whole benefit from a low dome would result from the reflective nature of the dome during pizza cooking, which of course includes a fire and hot coals.

The mathematics are interesting, but real practice may produce different results.

Last edited by Polo; 01-29-2011 at 04:37 PM. Reason: added thought
Old 01-29-2011, 04:36 PM
Laborer

@Lburou: your dimensions are close to the 42" w/ 21". It's going to take me some time to get things coded up for other then spherical surfaces.

From everything I've read here, I've concluded that dome geometry isn't particularly important. Nobody has posted that they built an XYZ dome and it cooks poorly. I'm doing the math to back up the "dome geometry doesn't matter" conclusion.

Insulation matters. Door opening for proper air flow matters.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:41 PM
Laborer

@Polo. Certainly this is an analysis of only one factor in how the oven works for cooking. However, I believe it is the dominant factor in the effect of the dome shape on the cooking process.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Mathematical analysis of dome geometry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
The OP's first post states that his figures do not take a fire or live coals into account. It seems that would negate the findings in regard to pizza cooking, which is done with a fire and live coals. As a matter of fact, I would think that the whole benefit from a low dome would result from the reflective nature of the dome during pizza cooking, which of course includes a fire and hot coals.

The mathematics are interesting, but real practice may produce different results.
Polo, I agree. But, that fact does not negate the questions the data raise, or deny the significance of the data. Therein lies the primordial clash between theory and practice. Sorting truth and fiction is what the scientific method does. Calculations are part of the scientific method. I worked in Military acquisition a few years and, believe me, I understand the balance between theory and practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mklingles View Post
@Lburou: your dimensions are close to the 42" w/ 21". It's going to take me some time to get things coded up for other then spherical surfaces.

From everything I've read here, I've concluded that dome geometry isn't particularly important. Nobody has posted that they built an XYZ dome and it cooks poorly. I'm doing the math to back up the "dome geometry doesn't matter" conclusion.

Insulation matters. Door opening for proper air flow matters.
Thanks for the thoughts mklingles, I feel better about my plan to raise the dome height now. It will also increase the mass of the dome by 28 more half bricks.

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:05 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Now do the analysis for a barrel vault, please.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:14 PM
Laborer

I'll add barrel vault to the list. Warning - it will take some time as I only get a few hours a week to play.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
Here are my scientific findings on wood fired ovens.

If its too cold, add fuel.
If its too hot, wait a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
Now do the analysis for a barrel vault, please.
I think itll be the same.

Old 01-29-2011, 06:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I know it will.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:48 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Ok, Ill shut up now...

Old 01-29-2011, 07:18 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks for the analysis, Michael. I put this study right up there with PizzaBob's heat flow analysis. In real terms, if correct, what this does is help remove some of the variables in oven design and construction, ie: kebwi's and drseward's compound angle indispensible tool. Relying on the fact that the dominant property in WFO-cooking is radiative, this would indicate there is no penalty for constructing a truly hemispherical dome, which is easier and more straightforward to build than a spherical cap, which is quite popular, given the number of builds with full-length soldiers.