Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Design Styles, Chimneys and Finish

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2009, 11:28 AM
Laborer

Default Re: Materials for Stucco Dome?

Cool looking! How did you do the pattern?
Paul
Old 10-29-2009, 11:40 AM
Laborer

Thx! The pattern was done with the edge of a small, triangular concrete trowel. Most of it was done in the dark w/a shop light, believe it or not. Took longer than expected to get the final coat on and ran out of daylight!
Old 10-30-2009, 05:05 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

hey wawa,
Just saw your final pics... Love the way you finished it, Im now consediering throwing on another coatt of SBC in the spring and re finishing like you did... Thanks and hope you dont mind.. I would also like to make my color a little darker as well...
Cheers
Mark
Old 10-30-2009, 11:06 AM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOldGarageNJ View Post
hey wawa,
Just saw your final pics... Love the way you finished it, Im now consediering throwing on another coatt of SBC in the spring and re finishing like you did... Thanks and hope you dont mind.. I would also like to make my color a little darker as well...
Cheers
Mark
Yes, no prob... as long as you send pix! I'm glad to have been an inspiration! Quikrete makes a concrete cleaner/prep that I would consider using if I was applying another coat after my shell had sat outside for a while.

I experimented with the Quikrete red but didn't like it. I ended up scrambling at the last minute to get hold of the burnt orange that I used. A large concrete outfit near me was nice enough to sell me only what I needed. The color is Chromix "Sorrento Red" by Scofield Systems. There is 24 colors on the chart I have. I am EXTREMELY happy with the color and the way it turned out! Everything I envisioned, and with the last minute pattern, even more!

I think it was you that was boasting about the Qwikrete Surface Bonding Cement and you were right! SO easy to work with. I was a little nervous being my 1st ever concrete job. And with all the claims of strength, resistance to cracking & weather endurance, I can't imagine anything better.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:30 AM
Master Builder

I love that pine needle finish on the stucco. Nicely done!
We get so much pine needles on our roof and yard this may be the perfect finishing design for our oven too.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:12 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Quikrete makes a concrete cleaner/prep
thanks, i will definitely look into that....

Quote:
The color is Chromix "Sorrento Red" by Scofield Systems
thats why I want to put another coat, the color is ok, but I wanted more red,,

Quote:
I think it was you that was boasting about the Qwikrete Surface Bonding Cement and you were right! SO easy to work with
Probably was me.. Love that stuff, so easy and so good......

Thanks
Mark
Old 10-30-2009, 04:54 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOldGarageNJ View Post
thats why I want to put another coat, the color is ok, but I wanted more red
The Quikrete red is really red... especially if you use the max dose. It was like a deep brick red. But it just wasn't for me.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:22 PM
Laborer

Well Wawa, your oven is on my list of the coolest looking ovens on this forum, well done.
About to render my dome but I think I'm gunna be boring and lay stone over it......maybe......yours looks pretty cool, did I already say that?
LoL
Paul
Old 10-31-2009, 09:11 AM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulyboy View Post
Well Wawa, your oven is on my list of the coolest looking ovens on this forum, well done.
About to render my dome but I think I'm gunna be boring and lay stone over it......maybe......yours looks pretty cool, did I already say that?
LoL
Paul
Why thx Paul... that's quite a compliment! Done right, stone doesn't have to be boring. I have an image in my mind of a cool indoor oven done in stone. Maybe in my next house.... or I have a friend that has shone interest once she saw mine. She has a real hiply decorated, modern city pad. I told her I'm envisioning a WFO just off her kitchen done in large stone.

Tags
stucco application