Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Design Styles, Chimneys and Finish

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2008, 08:56 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: Ken's Pompeii Door

Ken,

That makes for a good looking door, and it should function well!

Nicely done..

JED
Old 12-28-2008, 08:30 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: Ken's Pompeii Door (Update)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken524 View Post
After reading some concerns about exposed insulation board in the oven,
How about the exposed metal? Are some of the metal components galvanized? I think there are also safety concerns about exposing galvanized metal to the heat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:11 AM
Master Builder

I think it is likely that the galvinzed coating will vaporize at oven temperatures as the vaporization temperature of zinc is in the 740F range. Most galivinzed metal chimney flues do not reach this temperature.

Copper and stainless are likely better candidates for doors.

Christo

Old 12-28-2008, 09:32 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I don't think any of the metal parts of the door are galvanized. The flashing is aluminum (do they galvanize that?). I'm pretty sure the expanded metal I used is *not* galvanized because it rusts like crazy when exposed.

Updated!

Old 12-29-2008, 02:34 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hope it's not galv. Zinc is poisonous at high temps. Use stainless bolts or screws that face into the oven.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:24 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks for all the concerns. I stopped by Home Depot to double check the materials I used. The aluminum flashing and expanded metal are definitely not galvanized . Next time I fire up the oven, I'll check the screws, but I'm 99% sure I didn't get galvanized.

Updated!

Old 01-01-2009, 06:46 PM
Master Builder

Glad to hear it, Ken. We'd hate for you to grow a third eye or something!

Old 04-23-2009, 05:02 PM
Master Builder

Alright, Ken. I've been working on my door plans, and yours seems to be the most workable for me. (Hey, I copied your oven, why not your door?)

A few questions.

What purpose does the expanded metal serve? Is that just for strength? Do you think it would be strong enough with the inside face of aluminum flashing, or is that too flimsy?

The strip of flashing that you cut for the perimeter. Is that secured in any way, or just held together with pressure?

How is it holding up? Do the handles get hot?

Old 04-23-2009, 07:16 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Let us know how it works, Mike! You are copying a pretty neat door!
Jay
Old 04-24-2009, 06:09 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Mike,

The expanded metal was used to give the screws something to grab on to so I could sandwich the insulating board in between. You could also use a solid piece of sheet metal. I figured the expanded metal would conduct less heat than sheet metal.

The strip of flashing around the perimeter has tabs on both sides and is held with pressure.

Door works like a champ! Good luck and be sure to post some pics of your door.

Updated!