Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Design Styles, Chimneys and Finish

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2013, 05:08 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: How hot does your door get?

If exposed for long enough wouldn't the inner part of the door will end up the same temp as the inside of the oven regardless of the material (metal). The insulation in between the exposed metal and the back of the door should help shield that. It the back of the door is wood and is thick enough the outside surface should not get particularly hot.

At least that is how it should work IMHO. I have a very thick timber back on my door and it doesn't become hot enough to be an issue.

I was thinking of making a lighter door just to hold the heat when using the oven after the temp had dropped below 450 F. Most timber should handle that kind of temp shouldn't it?

Cheers ........... Steve
Old 05-13-2013, 11:44 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Plenty of people have made charcoal out of wood facing on their doors. Process starts at about 425, if I am to believe wikipedia (which is admittedly, a risk)

"wood becomes brown at 220 C (428 F), a deep brown-black after some time at 280 C (536 F), and an easily powdered mass at 310 C (590 F).[4] Charcoal made at 300C (572 F) is brown, soft and friable, and readily inflames at 380 C (716 F); made at higher temperatures it is hard and brittle, and does not fire until heated to about 700 C (1,292 F)."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday

Door Autoclaved airated cement block (tips section of the forum page 3)
Sorry doesn't look like that link worked anyway this is my door its made from a carved block of hebel cement with a wood face silasticed to the front.
The wood face and handles never get warm
Regards dave

My Build

My Door