Old 12-08-2012, 08:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: How to finish the dome

I used the beer can to form a hole from the blanket layer through the vcrete layer. I don't have any pics at the moment but a 2" to 1" pvc reducer has been set into the stucco layer to recieve this vent.

The reducer will be hidden in a layer of brick splits which will cover the dome.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:02 PM
Peasant

so did anyone find out the name for the waterproofing compound in Oz?

A friend reckons, the addition of dish wash liquid really help to waterproof concrete based products - is this a mythbusters investigation time?

Old 12-08-2012, 11:15 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: How to finish the dome

Bricklayers often add a little laundry detergent to their mortar which makes it more 'useable' but not more waterproof. The higher percentage of portland cemnt will do that!

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway

Old 12-08-2012, 11:58 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

A mixture of Silasec and portland cement is a good waterproofer.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:02 AM
Serf

Hey All,
It took me some time but finally I'm ready for the top coating of the dome.
As you suggested I used ~1-2inch vermicrete on top of the insulation blanket+wire.
now I have two more questions -
1. I finished the vermicrete ~2 month ago and the dome bricks ~6 month ago, can I haste the curing process (It is quite warm around here)? I guess that after so much time not much humidity left.

2. I want to use broken ceramic tiles on top of the dome (similar to the floor), is it recommended to put a stacco on top of the vermicerte before attaching the tiles?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
How to finish the dome-dsc_0003-6.jpg  
Old 03-13-2013, 04:25 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rans View Post
Hey All,
It took me some time but finally I'm ready for the top coating of the dome.
As you suggested I used ~1-2inch vermicrete on top of the insulation blanket+wire.
now I have two more questions -
1. I finished the vermicrete ~2 month ago and the dome bricks ~6 month ago, can I haste the curing process (It is quite warm around here)? I guess that after so much time not much humidity left.

2. I want to use broken ceramic tiles on top of the dome (similar to the floor), is it recommended to put a stacco on top of the vermicerte before attaching the tiles?

Thanks
the way I would proceed would be as follows. No doubt others may advise differently.

1. Sun and wind should have removed much of the water from the vermicrete, provided rain hasn't added more, but keep your fires gentle until all the moisture has gone. Try throwing some plastic sheet over the dome and see if there is any condensation under it.

2. Once you have removed the water give the thing a coat of stucco and then wrap it in cling wrap and leave it for a week. Add the tiles after about 10 decent cooking fires and any cracks in the stucco have been filled. Then you can add the tiles using a waterproof grout.

Last edited by david s; 03-13-2013 at 02:03 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:38 AM
Laborer

I agree with David. The use of plastic to detect moisture is the best and easiest way. I am at your stage, but have applied a waterproof sealer by Crommelin, called "Natural Finish Sealer" see Natural Finish Sealer: Waterproofing: Crommelin . It rained heavily the other day and water ran off it like rats from a fire. However, I worry about fine cracks in my stucco layer and perhaps I should have wrapped that in plastic too? So far though, so good, as I've used the oven in anger a few times since then and no problems. I will eventually do as you are doing - apply tiles using a waterproof grout.
My build:
Old 04-04-2013, 10:44 PM
Serf

I had used the vermicrete for mine oven before six months and I found no problem till now, so I would go for the vermicrete.

Tags
dome, finishing