Old 08-30-2011, 10:51 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: How to build the chimney transition???????

Quote:
Originally Posted by GianniFocaccia View Post
Hey Chip,

Is there a site or documentation that you can recommend I read to bone up on this? I've read through the vaulted structures pages on the Auroville Institute site, but haven't seen a site covering buttress dimensions.
Thx,
John
Just something I remember from my engineering classes. I will try and find some supporting documentation and pass it along.

Chip
Old 08-30-2011, 01:33 PM
Laborer

Hey guys, thanks for your replies. I am doing an igloo enclosure so I won't have the luxury of completely encasing my arch. So if I go up 2/3 of the way with my buttressing, would I start it from the concrete hearth?

Also I'm trying to determine how to build my chimney. I started another thread, but no one has responded yet, so maybe you guys can help. Would it be too much weight to build around the stainless steel pipe (and all the way up) with firebrick? Or is there a way I could build around it with regular brick (since it is lighter - and what I really wanted to do)? You can reference page 58 of the Pompeii plans for what I'm talking about.

The other option would be to stucco the chimney pipe, which I saw done in the Pompeii plans. I would do this if I could just understand how to do it. Any ideas?
Old 08-30-2011, 06:33 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I guess that would depend on what you are going to do with your decorative arch . Is it going to be larger than your flue arch?

The igloo style does not leave you much room for buttressing so you might want to create a steel buttress out of a piece of angle iron to support the arch.

That way you could have a very thin profile, and still provide support to the sides of the flu arch. the angle iron would be mounted directly to the base and contact the sides of the flue arch but not be directly attached to the arch with any fasteners or mortar. It would just snug up against the sides of the arch to provide support.

There are several examples of this in the photos available on the FB site.

With regard to the stainless steel flue and the brick, if you leave a gap between the stainless steel and the brick, firebrick will not be required, Except where the flue is mounted to the arch.

I assume you're using a single wall stainless steel flue, And you will want to use some sort of transition plate to support the flue.

Chip
Old 08-30-2011, 07:59 PM
Laborer

Chip, thanks for your reply. I had planned on leaving my arches exactly as you see them now. I was hoping to leave the front of the outer arch exposed, and then have everything else covered with regular brick to hide the fire brick.

My stainless steel pipe is a 7" double-walled Duravent pipe. I didn't want to have the base of the pipe near the flue showing firebrick and then have regular brick going up to the top of the chimney pipe. So I was hoping I could somehow "wrap" the outside of the arches and all the way up to the top of the pipe in regular brick. I hope this makes sense. Essentially, just like the oven on page 58 of the Pompeii plans.

Otherwise I would want to stucco the whole thing (including the pipe) like the oven next to the brick chimney on page 58 and put a chimney cap on. I just don't know how to stucco the pipe. Can I stucco directly over the pipe? Does it need to be insulated and have chicken wire over it before I stucco? If this would be easier to accomplish, I might just do this.

If you (or anyone else) have any suggestions on how I can accomplish this, it would be greatly appreciated. I literally have no idea and would hate to get this far to screw my oven up.

Essentially I want my chimney to look like one of the two igloo ovens on page 58 of the Pompeii plans. Whichever one is easiest to do is preferable to me. I just want to start cooking!
Old 08-30-2011, 08:02 PM
Laborer

One other question (and maybe an easier solution)...

How long will a Duravent SS pipe last exposed to the elements? My worry is that it will rot or rust after several years and I will have to replace it. Plus I just don't really like the look of it exposed. I just don't want to have to do any repair work to the structure of this oven for a long time, if ever. I would rather patch up some stucco or something similar than to have to take things apart.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:39 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I would imagine the stainless steel would outlast you.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:26 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Since I'm not building this type of oven and going with the house style. I'm not quite sure what to suggest. I would definitely look at the finished ovens and their photos and possibly contact the builders of the oven styles that you would like to reproduce.

One thing I forgot to mention regarding the buttress if you use a steel buttress put a piece of insulation between the buttress and the flu arch that way you won't transfer heat into the slab.

fxpose has an example of a stuccoed chimney you may want to contact him and look at some of his photos I attached one link here.

PhotoPlog - Vent and Chimney

Chip
Old 08-31-2011, 07:09 AM
Laborer

David and Chip - thank you so much. Glad to hear that the stainless steel will last. At the very least, I can start moving forward in my build.

I will definitely contact fxpose. Looks like stuccoing the chimney will be the direction I will go. It looks like he put chicken wire around the chimney and then perlcreted and stucco'd it.

Wonder if I could just wrap it in insulation blanket and then chicken wire and stucco?