Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Design Styles, Chimneys and Finish (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   How to build chimney and outer arch (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/how-build-chimney-outer-arch-19364.html)

RichC 05-14-2013 01:08 PM

How to build chimney and outer arch

Hi, I'm building from a kit ( http://www.pizzaovens4u.com/download...Stepbystep.pdf ) but I'm considering building my own chimney and arch from red brick rather than firebrick or the vermiculite structure supplied with the kit. Has anyone got plans for the outer arch and chimney structure ? And can anyone comment on my idea please ?
Thank
Richard

cobblerdave 05-14-2013 01:31 PM

Re: How to build chimney and outer arch

Gudday
I'm a big fan of brick chimneys ....go big and get that smoke away!
Check out v-wiz oven .... 42 inch ... In the photo section . Just being finished nice chimney and brickwork
Regards dave

RichC 05-16-2013 03:02 AM

Thx Dave but I'm new to the forum and I can't find that oven. Is v-wiz the poster or how do I find it?
Thanks

Richard

cobblerdave 05-16-2013 04:11 AM

Gudday
Sorry using a I phone so haven't figured out how to make link.
V-Wiz is the poster his oven build is ..42 inch oven and grill in Los Angeles and its in the oven photos section.
Yes I have a brick chimney myself if you want to check out my build.
Regards dave

Gulf 05-16-2013 04:28 AM

Dave, let me help you out :)

V-wiz's Build

Dave's Build

kbartman 05-16-2013 05:50 AM

RichC,
Welcome to the forum……….Hope ya don’t mind me stepping in on the thread.........Here's a question I feel is fitting for this thread and also a good starting topic…………. How much chimney will a hearth slab support that is 3 1/2" thick with 1/2" rebar on 8" square centers?

RichC 05-16-2013 05:52 AM

Thanks guys, I've only recently discovered this forum and its a treasure trove of information and experience. I always thought this site was just about selling a particular brand!!! Glad I found it when I did as I'm just about ready for the supporting slab
Thanks KB! That probably would have been one of my next questions:)

cobblerdave 05-16-2013 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gulf (Post 152711)
Dave, let me help you out :)

V-wiz's Build

Dave's Build

Gudday Gulf
Thanks!!! How did you do that?
O before I forget I'd better point out to check out your build you have definitly got a brick chimney.
Regards dave

Gulf 05-16-2013 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobblerdave (Post 152757)
Gudday Gulf
Thanks!!! How did you do that?
O before I forget I'd better point out to check out your build you have definitly got a brick chimney.
Regards dave

Just open another window and find the thread that you want to link to. In this case the first page of your build. Left click on the browser link at the top of the page and copy (control c on the keyboard).

Go back to the "reply to thread" window and type in a few identifying words like Dave's Build. Highlight those words and then click on the icon at the top of the page that looks like the earth with a paperclip. It will bring up a box that will let you paste the link(control v on the keyboard) and attach the link to the highlighted words :). A word of warning though :rolleyes:. Always go to the review post and check out the link before submitting. If you made a mistake and the last thing you copied was,............ say like calendergirls.com it could be embarassing :D

brickie in oz 05-16-2013 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbartman (Post 152715)
How much chimney will a hearth slab support that is 3 1/2" thick with 1/2" rebar on 8" square centers?

A hell of a lot more than you can build your chimney high. :D
Ive got 100mm of concrete and the chimney stack is over 2M above the top of the oven.

The main problem most ppl forget about is sideways buttressing to stop the entry arch from pushing down and out.