Old 06-01-2013, 01:48 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: How to build chimney and outer arch

With that kit you would be better off placing the thermal break between the entry sections and the outer decorative arch (assuming you are building one)
Separating the outer shell and arch so the inner oven parts are free to expand and contract is a good way to prevent cracking in the outer parts.

Last edited by david s; 06-01-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:39 PM
Journeyman

My dome is almost complete.........pondering the chimney and vent.........will have a thermal break and chimney modeled after the Mississippi Queen….. Need all the help I can get………..

KB
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbartman View Post
My dome is almost complete.........pondering the chimney and vent....(??).....will have a thermal break and chimney modeled after the Mississippi Queen….. Need all the help I can get………..
That is very flattering KB,
I hope that you have looked at other builds very closely. The MQ has been a fun ride , and a lot of work! But, then I again I will paraphrase a sayin' from my other interest. "It's all about the build"

Old 06-17-2013, 06:23 PM
Journeyman

Question Re: How to build chimney and outer arch

Gulf,
Sorry I haven’t responded earlier, been quite busy lately. My original plans were to build a full size chimney. Then I got scared about the weight and the overall height. I need to grow so gahones to tackle that.

Meanwhile I do have a few questions and need clarification on how to begin the outer arches / heat break. I like how you cut the notch in your brick to accommodate the heat break. The ¾ inch ceramic rope, how did it work and are you happy with it? Would you have done it differently? I’m considering the same size rope or double or tripling the ceramic band I used around the floor, and wondering what size gap you would leave? Would you recommend me setting the outer arches on insulation concrete or just the concrete hearth? I considered setting these on the floor insulation.

The plan at this point is to use the rebar sticking out of the hearth to help support about 8” poured counter top extension from hearth stand face and the additional height to meet oven floor. What your thoughts?

Pics attached:
Attached Thumbnails
How to build chimney and outer arch-sspx0150.jpg   How to build chimney and outer arch-sspx0067.jpg  

KB

Old 06-17-2013, 07:14 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Gulf,
Sorry I haven’t responded earlier, been quite busy lately. My original plans were to build a full size chimney. Then I got scared about the weight and the overall height. I need to grow so gahones to tackle that.

Meanwhile I do have a few questions and need clarification on how to begin the outer arches / heat break. I like how you cut the notch in your brick to accommodate the heat break. The ¾ inch ceramic rope, how did it work and are you happy with it? Would you have done it differently? I’m considering the same size rope or double or tripling the ceramic band I used around the floor, and wondering what size gap you would leave? Would you recommend me setting the outer arches on insulation concrete or just the concrete hearth? I considered setting these on the floor insulation.

The plan at this point is to use the rebar sticking out of the hearth to help support about 8” poured counter top extension from hearth stand face and the additional height to meet oven floor. What your thoughts?

Edit: give me

Pics attached:
I don't think that I would do too much differently (that is, in my case as I was wanting to build a multiple use oven, case not proven as of yet) I used 1/2" and 3/4" rope for the notched heat break. I think that the same effect could have been accomplished by just setting the outer arch overlapping the inner arch without notching. (a full width brick reveal). The outer arch/entry could be then built (like most entries) without a flare,but with the same clearance as one for working the oven.
That would decrease weight for those wanting to set ss flues ', but would require some additional buttressing if they wanted to include a toned down version of my chimney style.

Edit:
Quote:
Would you recommend me setting the outer arches on insulation concrete or just the concrete hearth? I considered setting these on the floor insulation.
I wouldn't set anything on the concrete hearth but face brick. That is, only if they were separated from the outer arch by a heat break.

Please.give me one more day to reread your entire post. I have to get up for work at 3AM

Last edited by Gulf; 06-17-2013 at 07:29 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:22 PM
Journeyman

I’m considering uses insulated fire brick placed directly on the hearth below heat break arch and outer arch. I didn’t like the idea of setting these on floor insulation. My plans are still try to using the two 9x18x24 clay flues on top each other. I’m thinking the semi circular arch should not require any buttressing. Any thoughts appreciated.

KB

Old 06-24-2013, 05:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
I’m thinking the semi circular arch should not require any buttressing. Any thoughts appreciated.
Correct, no buttress required.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin