Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Design Styles, Chimneys and Finish

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2008, 06:37 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Glass door for the view

Will that glass "blacken" over time? I love the idea, but am thinking of cutting the costs a little and doing the top arch in metal so I can put a rectangular piece of glass in instead of the arch. I'm assuming that would alleviate the need of the waterjet, which should bring he costs down?

Great workmanship on the door also, it looks fantastic!
Old 10-01-2008, 10:33 AM
Master Builder

Great looking door!
Wiley
Old 10-01-2008, 12:59 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks Jim for the primmer on draft-doors. It seems like money well spent to be able to watch the fire and later on your bread baking. Super cool!

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 01:11 PM
Journeyman

Thanks all, to 70chevelle's question,
the glass comes with a slight tint (yellow) to begin with and then gets soot on it during use which wipes clean with a dry paper towel. Whether it will discolor over time and resist cleaning I am too new at this to know. In terms of the arch, the cost is in the glass not the cut. the folks I ordered from don't care if it is square, arched or shaped in the silhoette of your favorite pet. The waterjet allows them to cut it in any shape your require economically and accurately. They will even cut holes in it if you would like.

Jim
Old 10-01-2008, 03:07 PM
Apprentice

Great door

If I am in a real hurry I simply reverse the the suction on the shop vac. I turn the oven into a blast furnace. Its hotter than heck and very satisfying

Berryst

Old 10-01-2008, 03:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Prettiest door I have soon.

Excellent design and workmanship.

My costs:

My pics:

Old 10-01-2008, 04:12 PM
Apprentice

Awesome door, congrats!
Old 10-02-2008, 07:59 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcg31 View Post
Thanks all, to 70chevelle's question,
the glass comes with a slight tint (yellow) to begin with and then gets soot on it during use which wipes clean with a dry paper towel. Whether it will discolor over time and resist cleaning I am too new at this to know. In terms of the arch, the cost is in the glass not the cut. the folks I ordered from don't care if it is square, arched or shaped in the silhoette of your favorite pet. The waterjet allows them to cut it in any shape your require economically and accurately. They will even cut holes in it if you would like.

Jim

Very good! I guess it'll be an arch then!
Old 10-03-2008, 08:45 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

One more question Jim on construction of the glass door. I want to figure out if its over-my-head/out-of-my-league tool-wise. You say you used a grinder (I can do that) but the channel and tube, did you just cut and bend it or is there welding involved? I may have to buy one of those small electric welders and start practicing. Just curious.
Thanks, Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 01:23 PM
Journeyman

Jim,
That door is amazing, I hope you don't mind my copying it. I have a few questions on the construction of it. I imagine that the groove for the glass is not exact, so how did you keep the glass tight? Did you put the glass in and then weld the arch to the sides? Can you try to explain the tubing cut in quarters, how is it put together? Do the draft doors bypass.The top of the door is obvious but I'm having a hard time figuring out the bottom with the slides?
Thanks, Mark