Old 11-11-2007, 08:14 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Framing Nearly Complete

KC,

Looking good!!!! I am just a bit ahead of you, but are structures look almost identical. My scratch coat is done and I just finished the roof, except the tiles (still waiting for Jim and the supplier). The only thing I did different is I used plywood for my roof instead of hardibacker. I debated back in forth but ultimately went with the plywood with the foil lining on one side. Why did you settle with the hardibacker? I sure hope I will be okay with the plywood. There really is no heat escaping so I should be fine.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:37 PM
Apprentice

Hi KC,
is there a specific name for those studs you are using for framing? thanks Carlo
Old 11-12-2007, 07:36 AM
Peasant

I used the Haribacker for the roof for the "just in case" factor. Not much difference in price, so I figured, why not. I'm going to a tile "boneyard" today and looking at some tiles. We'll see what happens.

I don't know what the name of the metal studs are, but I got them @ Lowe's. I know some HD's also carry them. There are a couple of different sizes. I used the 25 gauge. Easy to cut with snips or a grinder. Use "track" for the plates and stud every where else. The studs will have holes cut in them already for wiring.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:28 AM
Laborer

Wish I had thought about the wiring before I poured concrete. It actually never occured to me to put any lighting on the structure until I saw some finished pictures. Now just one more thing to figure out. I will most likely use low voltage lights like the rest of the deck.

The structure looks great by the way. Pretty much exactly what I want to do. I am planning on brick for the lower section and stucco for the house with a terracota roof.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:46 AM
Peasant

I found some roof tiles yesterday at a roofing "boneyard". The tiles were salvaged from The Broadmoor, a local historic grand hotel. The tiles are ~ 75 years old and have weathered beautifully. They even have some lichen on some of the tiles. I was able to get the tiles, bird stop, ridge and rack tiles. They were a little pricy, but I think they will work nicely.

KC
Old 11-13-2007, 07:50 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by biondoli View Post
Hi KC,
is there a specific name for those studs you are using for framing? thanks Carlo
Carlo,

No specific name....just metal studs. The ones you find at retail centers are usually 25 gauge, but I would recommend at least 20 gauge which will provide better strength, especially when it comes to roof support. You will need to go to a wholesaler of drywall supplies or there is a company here locally (Scafco) who sells nothing but metal studs.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:55 AM
Peasant

Default Re: Scratch coat

Scratch coat added and curing fires complete! Baked bread, brisket and short ribs. Fantastic!
Attached Thumbnails
Framing Nearly Complete-p1010678.jpg   Framing Nearly Complete-p1010636.jpg   Framing Nearly Complete-p1010610.jpg  
Old 11-20-2007, 06:43 AM
Apprentice

KC, congratulations, it looks fantastic and the food too! Great job, ciao Carlo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:26 PM
Apprentice

Hey KC,
Congrats on the oven. It looks great! So do the ribs and the breads! And the little sweetheart looks like your daughter, yes? Good food and spending time with family and friends! That's what it's all about man!!
Best to ya,
Rick