Old 09-03-2013, 02:09 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Finishing firebrick chimney?

There has to be a reason for the cracks.. I would still put in the concrete as discussed, and make a place for the runoff..... Perhaps water got into the layers and froze? Generally, foundations aren't poured in layers.. Mono pour or a wall on a footing. Its holding the whole thing up.....more is good!
Old 09-03-2013, 02:22 PM
Peasant

Water surely got in there since this has been a 2 year project and we deal with Ohio winters. It will face one more winter before I can face it with stone. Should I try to fill/caulk cracks or leave them so there is "drainage".

I will dig down a bit more, them backfill with concrete and form a channel to funnel the water away.

I didn't intend for the base to be layered, just didn't know what to do other than pouring a 20" pad.

I really appreciate your time on this.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:53 PM
Apprentice

I guess you could caulk, you are in uncharted territory....and yes, the 20" in a single pour would have been more than enough...just try to get some concrete under and flush with the bottom of your base thick enough to act as footings. It may very well fall some more, but, the footers should save it..Hope this helps....
Old 09-03-2013, 04:56 PM
Peasant

Going to dig 8"-10" along the rear where I already dug and add a footer and hope that helps. Also going to leave the cracks open to allow for escape for water. Since I don't know where it came in, trapping it would only hurt me.
Also going to back fill high with dirt to insulate against frost/freezing.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:03 PM
Apprentice

If you back fill high, it will force the water towards the fireplace, down and away is what you want...I think the water is running down the fireplace walls and under your base...get that water out of there....
Old 09-03-2013, 05:05 PM
Peasant

10-4. Will angle the new pour away from the base then follow up with drainage away.

Really wish you were closer so we could look at this for awhile with a beer. (And a shovel. Lol)
Old 09-03-2013, 05:22 PM
Apprentice

Have a beer for me! .... Pray to St. Jude, The patron saint of impossible tasks...lol P.S. If there is no water there, there is nothing to freeze.. most base failures is water related.....the rest is compaction......seems you hit the daily double....
Old 09-03-2013, 05:26 PM
Peasant

Will run the taper of the base (about 1' away) into drain tile to dump it into neighbors yard (evil grin). Should do the trick
Old 09-03-2013, 05:27 PM
Apprentice

Sounds like a plan!
Old 09-05-2013, 03:53 AM
Peasant

I think i figured out the reason for the cracks. I think heat and water in the block may be the cause. The fireplace is huge (5 feet wide 3 feet deep). I make big fires throughout the year unless there is a bunch of snow on the ground.
The interior of the fireplace is lines with 1/2 refactory bricks. I am going to put another layer of fulls along the back and sides to add insulation to protect the CMUs.

After looking at the solid base, i can't figure any other reason.