Old 02-10-2011, 04:27 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: To Enclose or Not to Enclose, that is the question

RT!
Thank you for reminding me of one of the reasons why I will never move back to the States. The land of the free where you can not even do what you want to your own house and yard. HOAs, Condo Committees, the PC crowd, etc. etc.

If they don't like that it's visible from there places, tell'm not to look.

Good luck on your project, I sincerely hope you can finish it without the local bully patrol bothering you too much about it.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:43 PM
Apprentice

Hey L, I just looked at your oven. Like it! Exactly the type of thing I was thinking to do if I stay traditional, which I probably will. Seems I looked at the wrong one the last time. Last time I did the search for Pompeii Japan I ended up seeing an oven in Tokyo that was Completely Enclosed. So, when you just mentioned yours not being enclosed I thought Huh? So, a little more looking around got me to the right one. Very nice.

On a side note, I think this site is great. BUT, the search facility leaves much to be desired.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:26 AM
Serf

I have had a series of cracks develop in my exterior dome and am considering enclosing it. I think it will look better then just having it covered in black plastic when I am not using it. Too much water gets in with even a hair line crack.
-John
Old 04-20-2011, 05:58 AM
Apprentice

Probably better off enclosed I suppose. Better safe than sorry, seems like a lot of peoples domes crack sooner or later, so i will likely do the same
Old 04-20-2011, 01:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

You can always go with the dome first. If, over time, you have problems with moisture you can enclose it.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:59 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi
I'm in Qld Australia and we have had a season of big wet and of course my oven has suffered with damp. I like the igloo design so a little bit more works involved in sealing it. Ive rebuilt my entrance and as soon as the dry months of winter every bit of exposed brickwork is to be treated with" bondcrete".
as for the dreaded cracking.... none to date. and the plan is to seal over any with fiberglass matting and the dome sealing render paint.
Regards
Cobblerdave