Old 02-14-2008, 07:58 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: door in progress

Cool!
Dave oringinally inspired me with the idea of a copper door. I was even thinking of cladding the entire dome in copper or brass. I still hesitate as scrap metal thieves steal everything around here that has copper in it. Crystal Meth? No thanks! As it is, I'm going to sweat my stainless steel chimney until I go to my grave.

PS. Dave, this doesn't mean I think you've got good ideas or anything

-

Last edited by gjbingham; 02-14-2008 at 07:59 PM. Reason: adding
Old 02-16-2008, 06:15 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjbingham View Post
Cool!
Dave oringinally inspired me with the idea of a copper door. I was even thinking of cladding the entire dome in copper or brass. I still hesitate as scrap metal thieves steal everything around here that has copper in it. Crystal Meth? No thanks! As it is, I'm going to sweat my stainless steel chimney until I go to my grave.

PS. Dave, this doesn't mean I think you've got good ideas or anything
My wife never thinks I have good idears either.
Wuzzup wit dat?

Oh well...

Speaking of copper thieves..
I work for an electric cooperative. Around Christmas day several members of the "Copper Recycling Guild" entered the premises (under the cover of darkness) and helped themselves to hundreds of pounds of new copper.
And all for recycling. I guess they were helping the environment or something.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My costs:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My pics:

Old 02-16-2008, 11:37 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inishta View Post
Hi Carioca...........I think the glass in your oven doors are two seperate sheets. You should be able to cut them and join them together using high temp silicone adhesive.

Yes Inishta, they are two pieces in each door (actually one outer piece shattered in the one door, and I replaced it with expanded aluminium mesh - lasted until the oven expired :-)).

What I am worried about is that this is a special type of heat-resistant glass - can one cut it like ordinary glass?

Cheers,

LMH
Old 09-14-2008, 03:58 PM
Laborer

Wayne, I haven't come upon your build until now..but really, really, impressive! The door is really kicka$%#! I appreciate things that are different than the norm and yours is a great example! Keep up the good work!
Dave
Old 09-15-2008, 05:55 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: door in progress

Hi Carioca,

Quote:
Originally Posted by carioca View Post
What I am worried about is that this is a special type of heat-resistant glass - can one cut it like ordinary glass?
LMH
the heat proof glass is not necessarily hardened nor tempered, so it should cut relatively easy. I would contact a leadlight maker and get them to bandsaw it using one of their diamond impregnated blades which they use to cut intricate shapes. It should not cost much and could be done whilst you wait.
I have printed normal 8mm plate glass and then had it fired to fuse the ceramic ink and then the customer had to get 1/4" cut off one edge to fit the panels into their overhead dome location in a large Russian Orthodox Cathedral without problems!

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway