Old 10-07-2008, 01:32 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Door materials to avoid?

well, I have a vested interest here too, since I'm still waiting for a door... I'm thinking that my best bet for "homemade" is like the one you did, just without the wood panel. If I could find a sheet of copper, I could maybe wrap the front in that- I really liked the door on one thread which was had a copper front. It was beautiful.

If you did yours over, would you get some of the stove gasket and use that around the edge where the door fits into the arch?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:22 PM
Master Builder

Elizabeth, I did use stove gasket around the inside edge, and I will do that again on my next version. The wood never scorched anywhere, it just cracked down the middle. I am basically replacing the wood panel with a steel one now, and trying to decide which materials will not poison me or make my food taste bad! I think the Durock is okay. My only other concern is the hi-temp adhesive to seal it up.

I'm having trouble finding steel handles with wooden grips that I can attach to the front of the steel panel. Any ideas where to look?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-07-2008, 04:58 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhansen View Post

I'm having trouble finding steel handles with wooden grips that I can attach to the front of the steel panel. Any ideas where to look?
How about in the kitchen cabinet handle/pull aisle? If you have the handle attached to the panel before you assemble the whole thing, the heat shouldn't get into the handles. The hardware would be next to your insulator, not the fire... so only transferred heat from the edges of the panel would heat them up, and that should be lessened by the gasket, right?

Old 10-07-2008, 09:01 PM
Master Builder

I'll give that a try, Elizabeth. The handles on my wooden door were attached in the way you described, but they loosened up after the first use (and of course I couldn't open it all up to tighten them), so I think some thread adhesive (Loctite) might be a good idea.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:42 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hm. I didn't think about them loosening afterward. Not a good thing. Would a lock washer function better than the locktite under these conditions, though? I think the door I was so enamored of had the inside of the fastener welded or soldered so it couldn't turn again. I don't have the ability to do that, unfortunately.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:56 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

quite a number of folk have tried calcium silicate board as a door insulator. On investigating this stuff it seems that there are quite a few differences re safety. I settled on stuff called Millboard 750 BIO. On the toxicological info it states that "the fibre is exonerated from classification 3 according the EU Commission Directive 97/69/BC" I was also concerned about the safety of fibre blanket. Some are safe others not. Insulfrax is ok and also passes the stringent EU rules. Anyhow I insulated my hardwood 20mm door with 12mm of millboard attached with 4 3/16" ss bolts and it works really well. It can be used one handed which is a bonus when you have a pizza peel in the other hand. It weighs 2 Kgs (4Lbs)
Old 10-03-2009, 07:27 PM
Serf

I don't know, I figure we're building a 2000yr old piece of technology and the best thing to do is stick with whatever they had back then. I just finished my dome and am planning on building an oak door using steel screws. (OK, they didn't have steel back then, still...) When it charrs too much, I'll build another. I won't have to worry about fumes, funny smells and chemicals that may leach off or out of some paint that a big corporation assures me is perfectly safe. This, even though I know big corporations never lie.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:22 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

If the screws face the inside of the oven, then use brass not galvanized steel. The zinc is toxic. I found that my brass screws got so hot that the heat transferred through them and charred the wood around the threads, rendering their holding capacity to zilch. Better if you can screw from the outside.
Old 10-04-2009, 04:14 AM
Serf

Thanks, David, I plan to screw from the outside and I was planning to use stainless screws. Brass might look better though.